Cetacean Research Survey
Join the Hebridean Whale & Dolphin Trust aboard their research yacht Silurian for an unforgettable training experience. Explore the wild, rugged landscape of the Hebrides (the islands found off the west coast of Scotland), encounter the very best of UK wildlife, learn fundamental survey techniques, all the while contributing to a valuable, well-established monitoring programme.
Silurian has been undertaking expeditions – lasting between 7-12 days – since 2002. Over that time, we have trained hundreds of volunteers and surveyed thousands of nautical miles through-out the Hebrides. Participants will, in effect, become marine mammal scientists for the duration, being trained in species identification (both cetacean and sea bird) and survey techniques (both visual and acoustic). No experience is required as full training will be provided by our experienced crew. All aboard are expected to participate in every aspect of the expedition, including domestic duties. Without the contribution of volunteers, HWDT would not be able to deliver their research activities; uncovering information about local whale, dolphin and porpoise populations and contributing to more efficient marine management strategies.
2017 Standard Survey Dates:
- 10th – 16th April; Tobermory Rendezvous; £845
- 2nd – 8th May; Tobermory Rendezvous; £895
- 11th – 17th May; Tobermory Rendezvous; £895
- 5th – 13th June; Kyle of Lochalsh Rendezvous; £1,175
- 15th – 23rd June; Kyle of Lochalsh Rendezvous; £1,185
- 28th June – 9th July; Tobermory Rendezvous; £1,395
- 12th – 20th July; Tobermory Rendezvous; £1,195
- 14th – 25th August; Tobermory Rendezvous; £1,395
- 31st Aug – 8th Sept; Ullapool Rendezvous; £1,185
- 18th – 29th Sept; Ullapool Rendezvous; £1,295
Teen Teams (for those aged between 16 and 17):
- 25th – 31st July, £950
- 5th – 11th Aug, £950
Joint Warrior Military Exercise Surveys:
- 30th Mar – 7th April; £950
- 1st – 12th Oct; £1,295
To find out more and book your place, click ‘more information’ below.
£845 - £1,395
Hebridean Whale & Dolphin Trust
Biodiversity, Marine Conservation
Please mention ConservationJobs.co.uk when enrolling in this Course!