Developing Skills in Ecological Impact Assessment (EcIA)
A two-day practical course aimed at those practitioners who have existing experience of undertaking EcIAs and wish to develop those skills further.
The focus will be on delivering teaching through a combination of powerpoint presentations and workshops, with attendees working through a variety of relatively straightforward case study examples.
This course will cover all aspects of EcIA, including the basic concepts of scoping and baseline (these areas are covered in more detail in the Level 1 EcIA course). Attendees will therefore be expected to have some knowledge of the legislation and policy drivers behind EcIA, and practical experience of undertaking ecological surveys.
This course includes a brief session on how to present the outcomes of EcIAs in a report.
The content of this course is aimed at practitioners involved in EcIA in England. Practitioners working on EcIA in Scotland should attend our Level 2 EcIA event in Stirling on 27-28 March. Both courses have similar key content but legislative guidance and case study material is tailored to reflect the differences in the approach between each country.
The training will refer to the following CIEEM Guidance:
- 2016 Guidelines for Ecological Impact Assessment in the UK and Ireland.
- Ecological Report Writing Guidelines.
- Preliminary Ecological Appraisal Guidelines.
This course is one of three levels of EcIA training currently being provided by CIEEM:
Level 1: Introduction to EcIA
Level 2: Developing Practical Skills in EcIA draft programme
Level 3: Advanced course in EcIA
Please contact CIEEM if you require further advice on the appropriate level of EcIA training to meet your needs.
Who Should Attend?
Practitioners involved in EcIA projects in England who are:
Ecological consultants with some (limited) experience of EcIA
Ecologists with experience of undertaking EcIAs but who want to review how their understanding of the process fits with the approach used by others
Those who have previously attended the level one course and wish to recap and extend their understanding of EcIA.
Note: Those with no experience of EcIA should consider the level 1 course. Practitioners with more than 5 years’ experience of undertaking EcIAs should consider the level 3 course instead. Please see course listings for dates/venues of all upcoming EcIA training.
- Improved understanding of what EcIA is, the main legal and policy drivers behind it, as well as the main steps/stages and how these fit with EIA
- Improved understanding of the terms ‘scoping’, ‘Zone of Influence’ and ‘baseline’ and how these relate to the EcIA process
- Ability to identify important ecological features following the CIEEM EcIA guidelines’ geographical scale
- Ability to characterise impacts and determine significance of effects following the CIEEM guidelines’ approach
- Understanding of the terms mitigation, compensation and enhancement, and where these fit in the EcIA process
- Basic understanding of how an EcIA should be presented in a report following CIEEM’s current guidance on Ecological Report Writing
Lunch will be provided on both days, together with tea/coffee
How to Apply
For more information or to book your place:
- Visit our website
- Call: 01962 868626
- Email: email@example.com
Please mention ConservationJobs.co.uk when enrolling in this Course!
30th January 2018 at 10:00am
CIEEM Member: £395 | Non-Member: £445
Biodiversity, Ecology, Environment, Policy & Legislation, Research, Sustainability
Newcastle-upon-Tyne, United Kingdom