Learn the key features of flowering plants and explore different habitats to uncover the variety of wildflower species specific to certain areas. Gain confidence, develop skills and learn how to use field identification guides and identification keys in this relaxed introduction to the world of botany.
This lively, informative, hands-on course offers complete beginners a relaxed introduction to the world of botany. With plenty of plant material to pull apart and look at in the classroom, we will investigate the vegetative (leaves, stems, roots) and reproductive (flowers, fruits and seeds) parts of flowering plants, and start to understand the roles that they perform. Moving outside, we will look at the plants growing around the field centre – using them for further study of these features. We will consider the domination of the angiosperms (flowering plants) in the broader context of the whole plant kingdom.
This course will cover:
- An introduction to flowering plants
- Introducing vegetative parts
- Introducing flowering parts
- A basic overview of the evolution of flowering plants, and how they fit in the plant kingdom.
- Common species of grassland, hedgerow and wayside
By the end of the course, you will be able to:
- Label the most common vegetative features of plants needed for using botanical keys
- Describe the main (usual) functions of leaves, stems and roots
- Understand and explain the functions of the parts of a flower
- Describe the processes of pollination and fertilisation
- Describe the challenges that faced plants as they colonised the land
- Understand (at a basic level) how angiosperms reproduce
distinguish angiosperms from other plant groups
- Share this knowledge with friends, family and fellow volunteers.
PLEASE NOTE the course fee is for tuition only. There is no accommodation provided with this course. If you would like to book accommodation, lunch and an evening meal at FSC Preston Montford, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
Please refer to our website for full details and to book.
How to Apply
Please mention ConservationJobs.co.uk when enrolling in this Course!
11th June 2022 at 10:00am
Field Studies Council
Biodiversity, Biology, Conservation, Ecology, Environment, Nature & Wildlife
FSC Preston Montford,, United Kingdom