Surveying for bats
An ideal follow-on from BCT’s Bat Ecology and Conservation, this course gives you the knowledge and skills to plan professional bat surveys. You’ll learn practical survey skills and field sign identification; includes survey objectives, desktop and scoping surveys, identifying appropriate survey techniques, survey skills, field signs and assessment of roosts.
Course Content Includes:
- Identifying survey objectives
- Planning surveys, including desktop and scoping surveys
- Resource planning and costings
- Health and safety, including risk assessments
- Identifying appropriate survey techniques to meet survey objectives
- Survey skills and field signs, including droppings
- Build construction and architectural terms
- Case studies and practical roost visits
Prior knowledge: Designed as a follow-up to Bat Ecology and Conservation and Using Bat Detectors. If you are unsure about whether this course is the appropriate level, please contact the training team at BCT.
Equipment: Bat detectors and recording equipment. BCT will provide a selection. A full list of required equipment will be sent with pre-course pack.
Professional Training Standards met:Foundation knowledge1.2, 1.5Preparation & planning of surveys3.1-3.2Survey techniques & equipment4.1-4.3
In line with BCT’s Bat Surveys for Professional Ecologists: Good Practice Guidelines, 3rd Ed.
£340 non-residential, £398 residential (£5 discount for BCT members)
Bat Conservation Trust
Nettlecombe Court FSC, Somerset
Please mention ConservationJobs.co.uk when enrolling in this Course!