Water Vole Mitigation
A one-day course covering the impacts of different types of development on water voles and the options for mitigation. The course will have a particular focus on determining the most appropriate approach to relocating water voles following the guidance published in April 2016.
A one-day course covering the impacts of different types of development on water voles and the options for mitigation, using a combination of powerpoint sessions and workshops.
The course will have a particular focus on determining the most appropriate approach to relocating water voles, by either trapping or use of the displacement technique, following the Water Vole Mitigation Handbook. The principles of displacement will be discussed in particular detail. The basic principles of trapping will also be discussed though this topic is covered in greater detail on the ‘Water Vole Live Trapping, Care and Restoration’ course.
This course is aimed at experienced practitioners (intermediate or advanced level) and is a classroom based course which complements our practical training on ‘Water Vole Live Trapping, Care and Restoration’.
Who Should Attend?
Consultants, LPA Ecologists, conservation officers in SNCOs or NGOs
Intermediate – Advanced
It is assumed that those attending the mitigation course have attended the ‘Water Vole Ecology and Surveys’ course, or are already experienced in undertaking water vole surveys and have a good understanding of the background ecology of the species.
- Understanding of the legislation relating to water voles
- Ability to assess the impacts of a development proposal on water voles
- Ability to design an appropriate mitigation strategy
- In depth understanding of the displacement technique, its limitations, and practical implementation
- Understanding of the basic principles of live capture, care and translocation of water voles* (*This Learning Outcome is covered in detail in CIEEM’s two-day ‘Water Vole Live Trapping, Care and Restoration’ Training event).
Refreshments will be provided during the day. Lunch is not provided.
How to Apply
For more information or to book your place, please contact CIEEM on:
- 01962 868626
Please mention ConservationJobs.co.uk when enrolling in this Course!
23rd May 2018 at 9:30am
CIEEM Member £110 Non-member £180
Ecology, Policy & Legislation
Cirencester, United Kingdom