RSPB winter Avocet Cruises,Topsham (2017/2018)
Come and enjoy our popular RSPB birdwatching cruises along the stunning Exe Estuary in Devon. Cruises last between 1-1.5 hours and are renowned for the variety of birds you’ll get a close-up view of, including the stylish avocets.
Throughout the cruise, expert commentary is provided by knowledgeable RSPB volunteers who will keep a close eye out and help you spot the various species of waders and wildfowl that either flock to the Exe to overwinter, or call the Exe their home.
The avocets have never failed to put on a show since our Avocet Cruises started in the late 1980s. They normally congregate between the Turf Inn and Topsham. Because the estuary narrows here, you can get incredibly close to these wonderful two-tone birds, which are the unmistakeable emblem of the RSPB.
Black-tailed godwits are another spectacle on the Exe – these elegant visitors from Iceland are usually seen in a flock. There’s just something about these birds that brightens up a day.
The Exe Estuary is a special place and is internationally protected for wildlife, including the thousands of birds that flock here in the autumn and winter. The RSPB is working with partners to protect the Exe for wildlife and the local community. The money from these cruises is directly helping to save nature on the Exe and in the South West- thank you for helping to give nature a home.
Booking essential. These cruises sell out quickly as there are only 40 spaces available per sailing.
Note: There is also a one-off Photography Cruise on Monday 15th January, 11.45 am departure, and there are also two Dawn cruises this season (with breakfast afterwards at The Globe Hotel, Topsham): Saturday 27th January 2018, 7.45 am departure and Sunday 25th February 2018, 7 am departure
Standard cruise dates and departure times from Trout’s Boatyard, Topsham
(prompt departure due to tide constraints)
- Saturday 4 November 2017, 12.30 pm departure
- Sunday 5 November 2017, 1.15 pm departure
- Friday 17 November 2017, 12 pm departure
- Sunday 19 November 2017, 1 pm departure
- Friday 1 December 2017, 10.15 am departure
- Saturday 2 December 2017, 11.15 am departure
- Friday 15 December 2017, 10.30 am departure
- Saturday 13 January 2018, 9.45 am departure
- Sunday 14 January 2018 10.45 am departure
- Thursday 18 January 2018, 1.45 pm departure
- Friday 19 January 2018, 2.15 pm departure
- Thursday 1 February 2018, 1.30 pm departure
- Friday 2 February 2018, 2.15 pm departure
- Saturday 3 February 2018, 3 pm departure
- Tuesday 27 February 2018, 10.15 am departure
Cost for Standard Cruises:
- Adult RSPB member – £15
- Adult non-member – £18
- Child RSPB Member – £8
- Child Non-member – £10
When booking please provide a valid phone number and e-mail as your booking confirmation will be sent via e-mail. We need a valid phone number (landline and mobile) in case we need to get hold of you urgently to update you with changes/cancellation.Thank you for your co-operation.
How to Apply
Telephone: 01392 432691
Please mention ConservationJobs.co.uk when enquiring about this event!
£8 - £18
Biodiversity, Environment, Fundraising, Nature & Wildlife
Topsham, United Kingdom