Animal Care – Volunteer Animal Presenter
The Wildfowl & Wetlands Trust Washington Ad expires in 1 month Fixed Term Graduate, Mid Level, Senior Part Time
At WWT we believe that the best way for people to understand and connect with wetlands is to experience them, so we bring awe-inspiring nature up close. You will be involved in maintaining and developing exhibits within the site at Washington in order to enhance the visitor experience. This involves explaining to the public about our large collection of rare and endangered species of animals from around the world and the vital conservation work in which WWT is involved.
The role would suit someone looking to gain or build upon presentation experience with animals and conservation. We have one of the largest animal collections in the North East.
Who will be responsible for your role? Collection Manager
How much time will it take? 1 or more days per week (Tuesdays and Saturdays only) 11am – 4pm.
What will you be doing?
- Providing excellent public engagement to a variety of ages, backgrounds and numbers at our daily talks and events – two Otter talks daily, two Flamingo talks daily, monthly Walking with Wildfowl tours, annual Downy Duckling presentations and potentially other talks and presentations.
- Daily feed preparation for the talks, routine cleaning & record keeping.
- Providing occasional support when needed on other animal care tasks within the centre team.
- Upon completion of training, delivering Otter talks within the exhibit.
- Upon completion of training, handling birds and eggs for Downy Duckling presentations.
- Keeping up to date with WWT activities, mission statements, updates and researching the animals about which you will be talking.
Who we are looking for?
- Some practical experience in animal care would be desirable.
- Able to follow instructions and safely complete activities alone or as part of a team.
- Good people skills.
- Public speaking skills essential.
- Ability to work outdoors in all weather.
How will you benefit?Working in the fresh air with a friendly team of like-minded people.
This is an excellent opportunity to work within in internationally important wetland site.
Discount is available in the cafe and shop for all volunteers on the days you volunteer.
Free entry to all WWT wetland centres throughout the UK on presentation of you WWT name badge.
We regret that we are not in a position to reimburse incurred for travel to the site.
Please mention ConservationJobs.co.uk when applying for this Job!