Business and Biodiversity Programme Manager (Full-Time / 2 Years Fixed-Term Contract)
The Zoological Society of London (ZSL), a charity founded in 1826, is a world-renowned centre of excellence for conservation science and applied conservation. ZSL’s mission is to promote and achieve the worldwide conservation of animals and their habitats. This is realised by carrying out field conservation and research in over 50 countries across the globe and through education and awareness-raising at our two zoos, ZSL London Zoo and ZSL Whipsnade Zoo, inspiring people to take conservation action.
ZSL recognises the significant threat posed by irresponsible and unsustainable business practice to global biodiversity and the landscapes in which we work. The Business and Biodiversity programme works to address these threats and to ensure best practice is business-as-usual. ZSL’s engagement to date has primarily been in the palm oil sector, and more latterly timber, pulp and paper, especially through our flagship SPOTT initiative, which aims to promote transparency, accountability, engagement and best-practice with governments, companies, investors and industry groups.
ZSL is seeking a highly credible and collaborative individual to be our new Business and Biodiversity Programme Manager. As part of the Conservation Programme (CP) senior management team, you will oversee the Business and Biodiversity (B&B) Strategy, crafting a new vision for ZSL’s strategic engagement in the sector, which could include engagement in sectors beyond oil palm, including other agricultural commodities and extractives, with the greatest impact on biodiversity.
Reporting directly to the Head of Global Conservation Programmes, this role will take strategic responsibility for the smooth running of global projects, including SPOTT (Sustainability Policy Transparency Toolkit), and the provision of targeted technical advice and support to our conservation projects, including ZSL’s country programmes, working to identify and implement conservation solutions with environmentally responsible companies and in landscapes affected by business practices.
This senior management role requires a confident, resilient and proactive individual who has gravitas and is capable of making strategic decisions for the B&B programme. The successful candidate will possess exceptional people management skills, with demonstrated experience of managing staff. You will also be responsible for overseeing logistical, administrative, financial and reporting requirements for the B&B conservation projects in the programme, including those arising from collaborative arrangements between ZSL and partner organisations.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
- Develop and oversee the implementation of a successful business and biodiversity strategy
- Lead the provision of technical advice and expertise to ZSL programmes on industry engagement and best practice
- Manage a large team (>9 staff) at ZSL’s main offices in London.
- Budget management including reporting and recording internally and externally.
- Ensure effective monitoring, reporting and review of all of the Business and Biodiversity programmes through accurate monitoring and evaluation.
- Develop and maintain partnerships and collaborations with donors, partners and governments.
The successful candidate will ideally have:
- A post-graduate qualification in a subject related to conservation/natural resource management, or business management or equivalent level or work experience in a relevant field.
- Extensive experience in the area of business and biodiversity, including familiarity with environmental safeguards and industry certification standards and bodies.
- An understanding of key issues relevant to biodiversity conservation, ideally with first-hand experience working in a regional context.
- Have extensive experience of working with a range of stakeholders, including government authorities, national and international NGO’s, private sector and research institutions and associate organisations.
- Strong experience of working successfully at strategic level including developing high-level business plans and project management including managing, implementing and reporting on large complex grants.
- Current or previous people management experience is essential as is the demonstrated ability to work with a wide range of people from different cultures.
- Proven ability to prepare rigorous fundraising proposals and to engage donors and funding agencies.
- Flexibility to travel regularly to field sites, country offices, conferences and workshops.
- Exceptional written and verbal communications skills; fluency in English is essential (proficiency in another language, such as French, would be a major asset).
Please note: This position will be offered on an initial full-time, 2 year fixed-term contract with the possibility of becoming permanent and the post-holder will be based at ZSL’s Main Offices in London, Regents Park. This is a fantastic opportunity for an individual looking to take on a senior post within an established international organisation where there will be exposure to a variety of departments.
The role is likely to support someone interested in or has already gained extensive conservation and development experience in developing countries and/or with previous experience of programme management in the conservation, development or humanitarian sectors.
The role offers a competitive salary plus a comprehensive benefits package including 25 days holiday, stakeholder pension where the employer minimum contribution is 6%, complimentary zoo tickets and more!
How to Apply
Applicants will need to upload their CV and covering letter (detailing relevant experience and skills, stating why they want the position and including details of availability) and can do this by clicking the “Apply for this job online” button where you can also read a full job description. If you have any queries regarding this position or when applying through the system please contact Human Resources at email@example.com.
Closing date for applications: Midnight Monday 13th November 2017.
The Zoological Society of London is a charity registered in England and Wales: no. 208728.
ZSL kindly requests no contact from agencies or media sales please regarding this position.
Please mention ConservationJobs.co.uk when applying for this job!
Commensurate with experience (plus benefits)
Biodiversity, Climate Change, Ecology, Environment, Nature & Wildlife, Policy & Legislation, Sustainability
ZSL London Zoo, Regents Park, United Kingdom
Not specified, apply soon.