The Wildfowl & Wetlands Trust Martin Mere Wetland Centre, Burscough, Lancashire Ad expires in 3 months Fixed Term Entry Level, Graduate, Mid Level Part Time
Why do we need you?
At the Wildfowl and Wetlands Trust we believe that the best way for people to understand and connect to wetlands is to experience them so we bring awe-inspiring nature up close. You will be directly involved in shaping our visitors’ unforgettable experiences through your warm welcome, your interaction with them and the information that you provide. We need friendly, outgoing people to help with the canoe safari operation, ensuring that our visitors feel part of something amazing.
Who will be responsible for your role? Marketing Manager
Where will you be based? Canoe barn
How much time will it take?
Normally one/two days per week, ideally a Saturday or a Sunday
We will mutually agree the hours that you can contribute and it would be helpful if you could try to give us as much notice as possible on the occasions when you are not able to contribute those hours
You must be 18 years or over to apply for this role.
What will you be doing?
- Giving health and safety briefings covering all of the aspects of canoe safety applicable to Martin Mere canoe safari
- Fitting buoyancy aids in a professional manner, paying particular attention to the sensitivities of older people and children
- Handling money taken for canoe trips
- Illustrating the use of canoes and paddles, including demonstrating if necessary
- Completing paper work relevant to canoe trips accurately, in particular on participants return
- Understanding the importance of prompt response to emergency calls
- Monitoring the canoe route and visitors’ participation in the activity
- Maintaining the tidiness of canoe hut and surrounding area
Who are we looking for?
No previous experience is required as training will be provided. However this role will suit you if you have a love of wildlife and the outdoors and are:
- Confident or experienced in talking to the public
- Able to work in a team of staff and volunteers
- Experienced in a visitor service environment with a strong commitment to excellent customer service
- Experienced in canoeing is an advantage
How will you benefit?
- This is an excellent opportunity to work within an internationally important wetland site
- Suitable uniform is provided to all regular volunteers
- Discount is available in the cafe and shop on the days of volunteering
- Training opportunities will be provided
This position may require helping out on other days in addition to rota days but this will be infrequent and will be agreed with your head of department and will be subject to your availability.
Martin Mere Wetland Centre is 2 miles from Burscough and public transport does not run directly to the centre. You will therefore need to have your own transport to get to the centre. We regret that we are not in a position to reimburse expenses incurred for travel to the site.
This position is entirely voluntary and is therefore unpaid. Any offer of a volunteer placement is not intended to create a legally binding contract between us and any agreement may be cancelled at any time at the discretion of either party. Neither of us intends any employment relationship to be created either now or at any time in the future.
Please mention ConservationJobs.co.uk when applying for this Job!