Conservation Training Academy Manager
Fixed Term (23 months) – Full time
Chester Zoo is home to more than 21,000 animals. For over 80 years we have been a leading conservation and education charity and an amazing, award-winning visitor attraction.
We’re also a team of passionate, talented, enthusiastic and expert people, doing everything we can to keep the zoo going, from feeding the animals to discovering new conservation ideas, and giving our 1.9 million visitors an inspirational day out.
We work hard because we love animals, we care about nature, we love Chester Zoo and we want to be the best zoo in the world!
If you think you can help us to achieve that, then we’d love to hear from you.
We currently have an exciting vacancy for a Conservation Training Academy Manager to help us develop our portfolio of programmes designed to train the conservationists of the future, and to bring these together under the umbrella of a new ‘Conservation Training Academy’.
We are planning to launch a new ‘Chester Zoo Conservation Training Academy’ that will provide a variety of training offers to zoo professionals, conservation practitioners and educationalists as part of our drive to build capacity towards our mission of ‘preventing extinction’. This will build on existing training offers and expand our portfolio to play to our strengths in animal and plant husbandry, species conservation and conservation education.
The Conservation Training Academy Manager will be a key role in driving this forward. Working across zoo teams, they will develop, coordinate and manage a portfolio of Chester Zoo branded professional courses that will collectively deliver the aspirations of the Conservation Training Academy.
The role will include the following activities and responsibilities:
- Working with staff across appropriate teams within Chester Zoo, and with suitable external partners, to develop and coordinate a portfolio of courses and conservation training opportunities that collectively deliver the aspirations of the Chester Zoo Conservation Training Academy within the framework of an agreed business plan.
- Devising, developing and coordinating a consistent quality management system for all conservation training provided by the Academy, including a comprehensive monitoring and evaluation plan for all training offers.
- Working closely with the Marketing & Communications team to brand the course portfolio and effectively market the offer, including development of an online prospectus.
- Overseeing the running of courses on and off site to ensure consistency of approach.
- Supporting the planning and scheduling of staff time to devise and deliver courses.
- Managing a database of course participants and establishing and maintaining an alumni network, in accordance with GDPR requirements.
- Supporting senior colleagues in the development of external training partnerships.
- Designing and creating training materials and delivering on selected courses, modules and workshops, according to demand and expertise.
The successful candidate will have:
- A BSc or equivalent in either a subject related to environmental conservation or in an education related subject
- A wide ranging knowledge of biodiversity conservation and understanding of conservation theory and a knowledge of the role of the modern zoo in conservation
- At least two years professional experience in the design and delivery of learning and training, including strong course design and facilitation skills
- Highly developed written and oral communication skills with a demonstrable ability to communicate with a range of audiences
- Experience of partnership working and collaborative delivery of education/training
- Experience of effective communication in multi-disciplinary teams
- Ability to work on own initiative and as part of a team
- A self-starter who understands the need for flexibility
- An excellent level of computer literacy
- Attention to detail and strong organisational skills
- Willingness to work out of normal office hours and to travel from time to time as part of role
In addition, a MSc or equivalent in an appropriate subject would be an advantage.
The salary for this role is £32,639.05 per annum and in addition we offer a range of amazing benefits which can be found at:
How to Apply
To apply for this position, please provide your current CV and covering letter stating why you believe you should be considered for our Conservation Training Academy Manager role please apply via https://www.chesterzoo.org/work-with-us/
Closing date for applications is Monday 24th June 2019
Please mention ConservationJobs.co.uk when applying for this job!
Mid Level, Postgraduate
Chester, United Kingdom
24th June 2019 at 11:45pm