We’re ZSL, an international conservation charity. Our vision is a world where wildlife thrives and we’re working every day to achieve this. From investigating the health threats facing animals, to helping people and wildlife live alongside each other, we are committed to bringing wildlife back from the brink of extinction. Through the work of our pioneering scientists, our dedicated conservationists and our unrivalled animal experts in our two zoos, we guide and enable others in the UK and all across the world. Inspiring, informing, empowering – working for wildlife.
ZSL has an exciting opportunity for an experienced law enforcement professional with an interest in wildlife law enforcement and countering illegal wildlife trafficking. The role will sit within ZSL’s Africa Conservation Programme. Reporting to the Senior Programme Manager – Africa, this senior position will oversee ZSL’s law enforcement and counter-trafficking activities to combat the illegal wildlife trade in countries where ZSL operates, with a focus on Africa and the opportunity to expand the role into Asia.
The Africa Programme in ZSL’s Conservation & Policy department is focussed on some of the largest and most intact landscapes on the continent, with three programmes in Cameroon, Kenya and the W-Arly-Pendjari landscape in West Africa. We take a landscape approach to our work, with protected areas and communities at the core of this. Our law enforcement and counter-trafficking activities engage with a range of stakeholders including government law enforcement agencies, communities and other international and national organisations.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
- Lead implementation of law enforcement and counter-trafficking activities for country programmes.
- Support relevant government authorities in effective law enforcement and counter-trafficking initiatives through training, mentoring and ongoing technical support, as required.
- Monitor and assess the performance of law enforcement and counter-trafficking activities carried out in various field sites, and manage and/or arrange technical assistance to support delivery where necessary.
- Support the implementation of community-focused information gathering on wildlife crime.
- Maintain and enhance existing written guidelines and procedures for all law enforcement and counter-trafficking activities.
- Oversee management of information networks to include overseeing collection, utilisation and transmission of sensitive information.
- Provide support to project and partner teams in the planning and execution of enforcement activities and counter-trafficking operations (targeted arrest operations, drafting and forwarding court complaint reports, judiciary follow up of court cases etc.) in the field.
This is senior level position which requires a high level of technical expertise in the field of law enforcement (e.g. intelligence gathering, information management, investigations and analysis, anti-corruption, anti-poaching, wildlife law), with a substantial professional interest in counter-trafficking and/or wildlife law enforcement. Candidates should also have:
- An excellent standard of written and spoken English. French is highly desirable.
- Excellent communication, presentation and interpersonal skills.
- Experience of living and/or working in developing countries, ideally Africa.
- Proven capacity-building skills, experience in developing training resources, delivering training and mentoring.
- An understanding of current international and Africa-specific illegal wildlife trade issues.
Please Note: This is a full-time, 1 year fixed-term contract with the potential to be renewed however will depend on business needs and funding. We are open to negotiating where this position will be based. A preference however is for the role holder to work at ZSL main offices in Regents Park but will consider proposals to be based elsewhere. The position will involve significant travel to the relevant countries.
How to Apply
Applicants will need to upload their CV (maximum 3 pages) and covering letter (detailing relevant experience and skills, stating why they want the position and including details of availability) by clicking the “Apply for this job online” button on ZSL’s website www.zsl.org/jobs.
If you have any queries regarding this position or when applying through the system, please contact Human Resources at email@example.com. We regret that we will only be able to contact applicants who have been selected for interview.
Closing date for applications: Midnight (23:59) Tuesday 30th July 2019
The Zoological Society of London is a charity registered in England and Wales: no. 208728.
Please mention ConservationJobs.co.uk when applying for this job!
£42,153 - £45,643 p.a inclusive of London Weighting (dependent on experience)
Mid Level, Senior
Communication, Conservation, Countryside & Land Management, Ecology, Education, Nature & Wildlife, Policy & Legislation, Sustainability
ZSL London Zoo, Regents Park, United Kingdom
30th July 2019 at 11:45pm