FULL TIME, PERMANENT
MARKET COMPETITIVE PACKAGE, DEPENDENT ON EXPERIENCE
Pensthorpe Natural Park, in North Norfolk, was created by a visionary conservationist who landscaped an area of gravel extraction in the River Wensum Valley to create one of Britain’s most biodiverse nature reserves.
Purchased by Bill Jordan, who co-founded Jordan’s Cereals, and his wife Deb in 2003, the site celebrated its 30th Anniversary in 2018.
Having hosted BBC Springwatch from 2008 to 2010, we showcased our beautiful park, gardens, farm and reserve to a national audience and we have continued to develop, adding extensive wildlife themed children’s outdoor and indoor play in 2013 and 2015, complimentary to the overall vision of weaving play into education about the natural world, and encouraging our children to experience nature first hand, winning both local and national awards along the way.
The Pensthorpe Estate is also the home of the Pensthorpe Conservation Trust, a charitable trust whose main aims are to establish a centre of excellence for habitat management and restoration alongside conservation of wetland and farmland bird species through captive breeding programmes in national conservation partnerships.
Our vision for conservation, experiential nature and wellbeing combined with our strong emphasis on customer experience and ensuring an inspiring and educational connection with nature is at the heart of everything we do, appealing to all ages whilst generating exceptional visitor footfall across our commercial visitor attractions and outlets.
We are looking to recruit a GENERAL MANAGER to continue our exciting journey.
You will be responsible for leading the operation which covers over 700 acres of farmland and prime wetland habitat in the Wensum Valley in North Norfolk, encompassing leadership of the Reserve, Aviculture and Garden teams as well as the commercial hub of the business, which includes our busy admissions desk, café, shop and children’s indoor and outdoor play.
The successful candidate will be naturally entrepreneurial and have a background working in conservation, countryside and estate management with a tourism bias, confident in dealing with bodies such as Defra, NGO’s and Heritage Lottery Fund. You will be an experienced leader able to empower your diverse team to deliver excellence every day through your hands-on / can-do approach, demonstrating gravitas and a clear site leadership presence. You also need to be a strategic thinker, working with the owners to continually develop this unique site. You should have exceptional communication and inter-personal skills along with a strong commitment to our vision, to continue our journey in bringing nature to every generation as well as protecting our assets.
Your key responsibilities will be:
- Strategy, organisational development and business planning;
- Risk and governance of day to day operations taking responsibility for the processes and mechanisms that serve the business;
- Financial Management – Oversight of budgeting and management of capital expenditure;
- Attraction Management – Ensuring we maintain consistently maintain high standards and through competitor observation offer a first class visitor experience generating regular, consistent and increasing footfall;
- Park Management – Ensure the development and maintenance of the Reserve, Gardens and Avicultural resources; Ensure the delivery of the rolling 5-year Estate Management Plan, effective animal husbandry of captive and natural species, facilitate the full engagement of Pensthorpe Conservation Trust and to ensure the continuous development and horticultural maintenance of the sites multiple award-winning gardens;
- Commercial Hub Management – Through a dedicated team, oversee the admissions desk, shop, café and children’s play, constantly evaluating collective and individual departmental performance, identifying new income streams and opportunities;
- Third Party Income Stream Management – Engagement of third party users to maximise the use of both land and premises, on both long and short term basis;
- People Management – Through the HR Manager, ensure the effective engagement and management of our people resources, setting standards and providing both support and challenge to line managers to deliver excellence, making Pensthorpe a great place to work;
- Project Management – Oversee the delivery of all project activity on site, acting as project manager on larger projects and mentor for direct reports on smaller projects; Ensure effective delivery – right first time, on time, to cost and to the desired standards; Remain vigilant for potential grant and funding opportunities, such as the Heritage Lottery Fund, and oversee the detailed and timely applications processes;
- Overall accountability for site Health, Safety and Security;
- Line management – responsible for the coaching, support and development of 8 direct reports (Heads of Departments – Finance, Marketing, HR, Commercial Hub, Reserve, Aviculture, Gardens and Maintenance).
How to Apply
For a full job description and / or an informal discussion about this exciting role, please email Julie.firstname.lastname@example.org
Application by CV and Covering Letter by the closing date of Sunday 30th June 2019
Please mention ConservationJobs.co.uk when applying for this job!
circa £50,000 per annum
Pensthorpe Natural Park
Countryside & Land Management, Nature & Wildlife
Fakenham, Norfolk, United Kingdom
30th June 2019 at 11:45pm