Governance Manager & Secretary to the CEO
About Wetlands International
Wetlands International (www.wetlands.org) is a worldwide, not-for-profit organisation with 60 years of experience. Our organisation is a Network made up of 20 offices working in over 100 countries, with outstanding technical staff around the world. Together with many partners, Wetlands International works to safeguard and restore wetlands for people and nature, so as to reconcile conflicts over water, reduce the risks and impacts of floods and droughts, meet future food needs and tackle climate change.
Purpose of the Role
The Governance Manager & Secretary to the CEO supports the Management Team, Supervisory Council, Board of Association, Members of the Association and is the secretary to the CEO. The jobholder is the ‘linking pin’ between CEO, and the Supervisory Council, Head of Offices and the Board of Association and will act as focal point for external stakeholders such as partners and donors.
The incumbent will report directly to the CEO.
As a Governance Manager:
(S)he will support the main governance bodies of the global organisation, participating in key meetings, prepare documents, plans and prepares presentations that help to record decisions and communicates with internal and external participants as necessary to facilitate follow up.
Actively managing information flow and engaging stakeholders in relevant dialogues, through meetings and use of IT systems for collaboration, is a key function. The job holder will provide support on progressing key policy and legal processes for the Management Team and the Supervisory Council/BoA.
(S)he will actively be involved in ensuring that the Management Team is informed about developments that are of relevance to the performance of the organisation and recommend approach for enhancement when applicable. This may require analysis of project progress reports.
(S)he acts as the focal point for members of the Wetlands International Association. (S)he develops and maintains the membership policy and shares information and news, responds to enquiries, and arranges and supports meetings of the Association.
As Secretary to the CEO:
(S)he prepares documents and presentations, carries out relevant background research, arranges meetings and facilitates the involvement of relevant staff and partners. (S)he will monitor the importance, urgency and confidentiality questions of (inter) national contacts and prepare responses to requests to the CEO (emails/ presentations/ internal information gathering). (S)he estimates the priority of questions and answers or re-directs operational questions, taking the sensitivity of information into consideration and assesses whether it is necessary to involve the CEO before providing information.
The jobholder will oversee travel, meeting and field visit arrangements for the CEO and Supervisory Council, Head of Offices and the Board of Association, ensuring quality of experience as well as efficiency. (S)he will supervise the work of the assistant.
The Governance Manager & Secretary to the CEO is a self-motivated, resourceful, dynamic and effective team member whose communications and actions facilitate the work of the governance bodies and the CEO. The successful candidate will be able to think and act fast, being able to adapt to changing situations and priorities, and will take pride in supporting others to achieve their goals. The jobholder will have demonstrated ability to work effectively with contacts and colleagues at all levels, both internally and externally, in an international setting.
As a dynamic, calm and creative, person (s)he keeps the overview and switches rapidly between tasks and responsibilities. (S)He has the ability to work well with the different international relations of all levels of management and staff, mobilizing people. Being discreet, loyal and a real team player, quick-witted, a strong communicator and standing firm in his/her shoes.
(S)he has a relevant (post)university education and knows the context that Wetlands International operates in: the key players, conventions and events.
(S)he has demonstrated abilities in researching and preparing documents for a range of purposes, and organising international meetings with a technical agenda. (S)he has effective skills in analysing and interrogating data and information, making effective judgements and building and maintaining effective contact networks.
(S)he is inspirational and enables and supports (board)members and staff to pursue the objectives of Wetlands International.
Essential qualifications, experience and skills
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in a relevant field
- Knowledge, familiarity and interest in issues related to water resource management, biodiversity, environment and development; understanding of the key issues in mentioned fields.
- Minimum five years’ experience in supporting Executives and Boards, including the preparation of presentations and documents.
- Excellent writing skills; demonstrated ability to compose and understand written materials and proficiency in taking minutes and preparing accurate, selective documentation.
- Time Management skills.
- Use of collaboration platforms for shared document preparation.
- Proficient skills using computer software/technology and proficient to advanced computer skill using Microsoft Office software (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook).
- An excellent command of written and spoken English and able to operate in one or more additional European language.
- Excellent interpersonal and verbal skills and ability to build relationships with a variety of external and internal stakeholder (staff, board members, external partners, donors etc.), from a range of cultures.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively in small teams, with awareness and respect of different cultures.
- Willingness to travel occasionally.
- Flexibility in working hours
Preferred experience and skills
- International experience or working experience in developing countries.
- Additional language skills (French, Spanish).
- Experience of working with a multi-cultural organisation with multiple international entities.
- Full time (36 hours) 5 days a week.
- Salary scale 12 of Wetlands International (Euro 3.539 – Max. 4.913 based on a fulltime contract).
- Relocation package or 30% tax deduction can be considered when eligible.
- Contract duration: 1-year contract with intention of extension.
- Location: Head Office in Ede-Wageningen, The Netherlands.
- Start date: a.s.a.p.
How to Apply
Please send a letter of application stating the skills and approach that you would bring to the post with your CV/resume (no photos) in strict confidence by email only to: email@example.com. Please let us know where you saw the post advertised.
Please ensure that they are sent as Word documents with the titles “your name cover letter” and “your name CV” Please put “Wetlands- Governance Manager” in the email subject line.
Deadline for applications: Sunday 22th October 2017
Please mention ConservationJobs.co.uk when applying for this job!
Euro 3.539 – Max. 4.913 based on a fulltime contract
Ede-Wageningen, The Netherlands, Netherlands
20th October 2017 at 11:45pm