Macaw Conservation Volunteer
The Ara Project Costa Rica Ad expires in 5 months Temporary Entry Level Full Time
If you’re passionate about Parrots and Conservation and love to visit a beautiful country with lots of wildlife, volunteering with The Ara Project will be perfect for you!
Working at The Ara Project will give you an opportunity to work with a non-profit conservation organisation, meet people from all over the world and experience Costa Rican life and culture in a remote area. And, of course, you will be making a difference to the survival of two endangered species of macaw.
Volunteers responsibilities include:
- Daily food preparation and feeding of captive breeding birds, pre-release birds and supplementary feeding of the released flock.
- Regular site maintenance including aviary cleaning, providing perches and enrichment for captive birds and various other tasks.
- Monitoring the health and behaviour of captive birds.
- Data collection.
- Different tasks may be assigned depending on our current needs and the skills and abilities of particular volunteers.
Anyone who is over 18, physically fit, has a positive attitude and, of course, loves parrots can apply! Experience working with birds and Spanish (or English if you’re a Spanish speaker) are an advantage but not requisite. Please be aware that we expect the same kind of commitment you would give a paid job – we work very hard (physically and in the heat) and make long days but we also endeavour to make the experience enjoyable for you. We’re looking for dedicated, motivated, team-oriented, responsible individuals. A minimum stay of one month is required but longer stays are encouraged.
- We ask for a $300 monthly donation to cover lodging.
- Volunteers are responsible for booking their return flights to and from Costa Rica and paying for their lodging and transportation cost until they reach the site where they will be volunteering.
- Volunteers are responsible for their food expenses, which are estimated to be around $50-$75 per week depending on their diet.
Sign up now!
We are looking for motivated volunteers year round preferably for a minimum of 3 months. Please learn more about volunteering with us and apply on our website!
Looking forward to hearing from you!
Please mention ConservationJobs.co.uk when applying for this Job!