Managing Director, FSC Indigenous (m/f)
Managing Director, FSC Indigenous (m/f)
FSC Indigenous Foundation
Organization: FSC Indigenous Foundation
Position title: Managing Director
Location: Panama City, Panama
Reports to: Chairpersons of the Permanent Indigenous Peoples Committee (PIPC) and IF Board of Directors
Salary: Competitive salary + relocation package
FSC is the world’s most trusted sustainable forest management solution. Through our certification work, we ensure that commercial forests and forest products are managed responsibly, delivering positive impacts for markets as well as forests and the people and animals who rely on them. For more information on FSC, visit our website at https://ic.fsc.org/.
FSC has established an operational office for the Permanent Indigenous Peoples’ Committee (PIPC), set up as the FSC Indigenous Foundation in Panama.
The PIPC of the Forest Stewardship Council (FSC) consists of Indigenous Peoples’ representatives, who provide gather and assess information about Indigenous Peoples’ involvement in FSC, including policy, standards, organizational presence, certification, and forest sector engagement. The Committee proactively champions FSC and disseminates its deliberations internationally. The Committee makes recommendations to the FSC Board to strengthen and renew Indigenous Peoples’ engagement with FSC.
The Managing Director, “FSC Indigenous” will establish the office of the foundation and will lead all activities of the Indigenous Foundation (IF). You will supervise directly and/or indirectly all business affairs and staff, and reports to the board of directors.
Your tasks will be varied, and will include:
- Leading and coordinating FSC’s official indigenous representation in close collaboration with the PIPC and the relevant FSC units;
- Leading and coordinating the establishment and implementation of the FSC Indigenous Strategy and Key Performance Indicators, which flow from the FSC Strategic Review, in close collaboration with FSC international, and FSC Network Partners globally;
- Leading and coordinating secretariat functions for the PIPC as spelled out in the PIPC’s Terms of Reference;
- Managing all matters related to IF including the development of business plans, work plans, budgets, operational management, formal records, legal and financial affairs;
- Interacting with the FSC Network, in line with FSC’s Network development strategies and the FSC Global Strategic Plan;
- Engaging with indigenous, national, and international government representatives on forest related matters and supporting FSC’s participation in the development of Indigenous forest stewardship models;
- Leading engagement and coordinating FSC indigenous business development efforts with indigenous certificate holders, members, and other relevant stakeholders such as supply chain partners;
- Engaging with public and private procurement initiatives that are related to indigenous forest products, in close collaboration with FSC International and the Network;
- Identifying opportunities for public funding and donations for FSC’s Indigenous themed work and supporting the development of related funding proposals by FSC investment and partnerships;
- Supporting FSC’s indigenous engagement with other stakeholders, such as non-governmental and international organizations, academic institutions, and private sector, in support of, in collaboration with and/or complementary to the FSC Regional Offices and Network partners;
Education and Training:
- Advanced degree(s) in public policy, natural resource management, business management, and/or indigenous studies/governance with at least one degree being Masters level, or the equivalent in years of relevant experience.
- Corporate (non-profit and for-profit) organizational theory
- Working Experience, Style and Skills:
- 10+ years of experience, at 5 years in the senior management of an officially recognized national and/or international indigenous organization;
- Several years of international relations experience including international forum participation (e.g. United Nations fora), national government liaison processes, and indigenous group relations;
- Indigenous business development experience;
- Indigenous and human rights knowledge and experience;
- Excellent oral and visual presentation skills;
- Extensive soft and qualitative skills;
- Innovative way of thinking;
- Corporate (non-profit/for-profit) organizational experience;
- Being indigenous would be a strong advantage
- Proficiency in English
- Spanish as an FSC second language would be an advantage
- Awareness French, and/or other languages is a plus;
- Indigenous language awareness would also be a plus;
- General forest sector experience at various levels from forest management to forest product manufacturing;
- Commitment to FSC’s mission and values.
- Demonstrated cultural awareness and sensitivity to the diversity of values, views and approaches to issues relevant to the FSC system by stakeholders around the world.
What we offer:
The position will be full time (40 hours per week – potentially negotiable) and is located in Panama.
We offer competitive salary and relocation expenses.
How to Apply
Please send BY EMAIL ONLY a letter of application stating the skills and approach that you would bring to the post with your CV/resume (no photos) in strict confidence by email only to: Karem Armstrong at email@example.com
Please ensure that they are sent as Word documents with the titles “your name cover letter” and “your name CV” Please put “FSC-IF Managing Director” in the email subject line. Also, please let us know where you saw the post advertised.
The deadline for applications is Sunday July 28th, 2019
Please mention ConservationJobs.co.uk when applying for this job!
Competitive salary + relocation package
FSC Indigenous (m/f)
Marketing, Policy & Legislation, Sustainability
Panama city, Panama, Panama
18th August 2019 at 9:56am