Marine Environmental and Social Manager
Althelia Funds is headquartered in London, with projects in Latin America, Africa and South East Asia. We have recently launched the Althelia Sustainable Ocean Fund (SOF). SOF invests in projects driving sustainable use of our ocean resources, from MSC certified fisheries and ASC certified aquaculture, to supporting marine protected areas and eco-tourism.
This opportunity is within the ESG & Impact team, assessing the environmental and social risks of projects across our portfolio of funds, measuring their positive social and environmental impacts and working closely with projects to improve their ESG performance. The role itself will be primarily dedicated to our Sustainable Oceans Fund, under the supervision of the ESG Director. Our small ESG team of conservation and social specialists ensures that the investments made by Althelia Funds are providing substantial environmental and social benefits to the environments and communities where they are based, driving the transition to sustainable livelihoods. We are looking for someone with experience of sustainable fisheries, aquaculture or marine conservation who will take a leading role in assessing and managing the environmental and social aspects of our investments into this space.
The role is based in London with frequent travel to project sites (in the tropics), and offers a competitive benefits package including healthcare, dental & pension.
ESG Manager Job Description
- Assess the environmental, social and governance (ESG) risks and positive impacts of potential investment projects mainly for the Sustainable Ocean Fund, both desk-based assessments and field visits.
- Collaborate with projects to improve their environmental and social performance.
- On-going ESG monitoring and engagement with existing investments.
- Support the investment platform on developing environmental and social policy for new investment funds.
- Maintain an understanding of international best practice on ESG management, particularly in the marine sector, to ensure that Althelia Funds’ ESG policies and procedures remain best-in-class.
- Work as part of a small collaborative team.
- Minimum 5 years’ professional experience applying environmental and social standards to fisheries and aquaculture ventures/projects (ideally IFC Performance Standards, Marine Stewardship Council, Aquaculture Stewardship Council or similar).
- Experience in measuring and reporting on social and environmental (including biodiversity) impacts and outcomes of projects, as well and capability to support design of impact reporting systems for projects under assessment.
- Experience with marine conservation/fisheries/aquaculture projects/companies.
- Undergraduate/graduate degree in marine biology, marine science, aquaculture & fisheries or similar discipline, or social discipline.
- Excellent time and project management.
- Excellent written and spoken fluency in English.
- Ability to work as part of a small and dynamic team.
- Availability and willingness for global travel.
- Right to work in the UK.
- Spanish, Portuguese or French – speaking and writing.
- Experience in coastal eco-tourism.
Althelia Funds is an impact investment fund platform that makes investments targeted at promoting conservation, improving local communities and generating sustainable products, in both terrestrial and ocean landscapes. Althelia Funds is managed by Mirova Natural Capital Limited, an affiliate of Mirova Natural Capital and Natixis Investment Managers.
How to Apply
Applicants should provide a CV and covering letter to email@example.com by 23rd November 2018. Please put the job title you are applying for as the subject of your email to make sure your application does not get lost.
Please mention ConservationJobs.co.uk when applying for this job!
Mirova Natural Capital Limited
Conservation, Ecology, Environment, Marine Conservation, Policy & Legislation, Sustainability
London, United Kingdom
Not specified, apply soon.