Mexican Thorn Control Project Officer
TEAM: Conservation & Fisheries
REPORTS TO: Director of Conservation and Fisheries
- Trial methods for improved control of Mexican thorn on Ascension.
- Produce an integrated control strategy for Mexican thorn on Ascension in collaboration with external experts and local stakeholders
- Coordinate mapping of the current distribution of Mexican thorn with Conservation Team colleagues and volunteers.
- Provide assistance to the Centre for Agriculture and Bioscience International (CABI) in sourcing specimens of plant species similar to Ascension endemics for host range testing a biocontrol agent.
- Provide assistance to the Centre for Agriculture and Bioscience International (CABI) in developing a risk assessment for the use of a biocontrol agent on Ascension.
- Assist with the culturing, release and monitoring of a biocontrol agent if this is recommended.
- Organise the visit to Ascension of a Mexican thorn specialist to evaluate chemical and mechanical control methods.
- Design and conduct trials of recommended chemical and mechanical methods for controlling Mexican thorn.
- Organise training courses for staff and volunteers on Ascension in chemical and mechanical control methods.
- Produce an integrated Mexican thorn control plan with input from Conservation Team colleagues and external experts.
- Design and deliver public outreach and education events.
- Produce project reports and updates for project partners and funders
- Health and Safety: Conduct all work in a safe and responsible manner, including fieldwork in hazardous and remote locations – ensure that a first aid kit and radio are carried at all times in the field. Only use machinery/ equipment for which a valid, in date, licence is held.
- Continuous Development: Continuous development of knowledge through study and involvement in scientific programmes.
- Interaction with the Public: To interact with all members of the public, both the island community and visitors, in a courteous manner and to promote conservation efforts on Ascension where appropriate.
PERSON SPECIFICATION: Knowledge, skills, experience and personal attributes
- BSc in Biology, Botany, Environmental Science or equivalent vocational experience.
- A sound knowledge of plant conservation and biology.
- Experience of non-native plant removal.
- A full driving license.
- A good level of physical fitness.
- Numerate and computer literate, with a sound knowledge of Microsoft Office applications (Access, Excel, Word) and ideally GIS.
- Good interpersonal skills with a proven ability to work effectively in a small team.
- Experience of living and working on conservation issues in small and remote communities and/or on small islands and having an appreciation of how they run.
- Self-motivated with the ability to work both independently and in a team setting.
- Qualification in the safe application of pesticides.
- Qualifications in the use of brush cutters.
- 4×4 off road driving experience.
- First aid qualification
How to Apply
Closing Date: Friday 30 July
Interviews: week commencing 9 August by Skype if off island.
For more information (including detailed job description) visit: www.ascension-island.gov.ac/working-here/
To apply, email your CV and a covering statement of no more than one side of A4 setting out how your skills and experience are suitable for the role, to: email@example.com
For general recruitment queries, contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
Please mention ConservationJobs.co.uk when applying for this job!
£9,500 per annum plus accommodation, food allowance and benefits
Ascension Island Government
Ascension Island, Saint Helena
16th August 2021 at 5:00pm