Park Warden / Biosecurity Officer
ASCENSION ISLAND GOVERNMENT
JOB TITLE: Terrestrial Conservation Officer, Biosecurity Officer and Reserve Warden
LOCATION: Ascension Island
REPORTS TO: Director of Conservation and Fisheries
To implement the Green Mountain National Park Management Plan by conserving and enhancing the recreational and conservation value of the National Park. In addition, to work with colleagues within the Conservation Team to implement the management plans for Ascension’s six other terrestrial protected areas covering seabird and turtle breeding areas. The other aspect of this role is to lead on implementing the Ascension Biosecurity Strategy. This includes enforcement of pre-border control measures, conducting border inspections and post-border monitoring, coordination of responses to any new species detected and public awareness-raising.
- To enforce the National Protected Area Regulations and carry out the delegated functions of a Reserve Warden under the National Protected Areas Ordinance, 2003.
- To manage recreational sites within Green Mountain National Park and terrestrial Nature Reserves including regular path maintenance and improvement.
- To conduct practical conservation work within the National Park and Nature Reserves including non-native species removal, and endemic plant restoration.
- To organise and lead volunteer groups carrying out practical conservation efforts in the National Park and Nature Reserves including providing all necessary Health and Safety information.
- To line manage the Assistant National Park Warden, Mexican thorn Project Officer and Invertebrate Project Officer ensuring they are effectively delivering their job outputs.
- To identify and, in collaboration with AIG colleagues, manage Health and Safety risks within the National Park and Nature Reserves.
- To lead on pre-border biosecurity measures including the issuing of import licences, review and update of import health standards and provision of information for importers, visitors and new starters.
- To coordinate and conduct border inspections of incoming vessels, aircraft and freight to identify biosecurity risks.
- To devise and oversee control or eradication efforts for newly-detected or existing non-native species.
- To conduct regular monitoring of the land crab population and identify opportunities for further research on this species.
- Collaborate with the wider Conservation Team to develop externally funding projects to achieve objectives identified under the Biodiversity Action Plan.
- To raise awareness amongst people living on Ascension, visitors to the island and the global community of the importance and special qualities of Ascension’s natural heritage. This will include events, school visits, written articles and social media content.
- Educate and manage trainees, students, voluntary and some AIG staff working in the National Parks, providing training and information on Health and Safety procedures as necessary.
- To learn and comply with AIG’s Health and Safety at Work procedures including fieldwork in hazardous and remote locations.
- To ensure compliance with relevant QHSE processes and procedures.
- To interact with all members of the public, both the island community and visitors, in a courteous manner and to promote conservation efforts on Ascension where appropriate.
- To utilise appropriate protective gear and equipment during job related work.
- To be responsible for the maintenance of equipment used to carry out job related work.
- Continuous development of knowledge through study and attendance of training courses as appropriate.
- Experience of protected area management including practical habitat and path management.
- Valid chainsaw and brushcutter qualifications and extensive experience of using these tools.
- Experience of managing volunteer work parties.
- Experience of conducting biological surveys.
- Excellent communication and public engagement skills.
- Knowledge and experience of good health and safety practices.
- Numerate and computer literate, with a sound knowledge of Microsoft Office applications (Access, Excel, Word) and ideally GIS
- Good level of physical fitness.
- Ability to work in difficult and harsh conditions.
- Valid clean driving licence.
- The successful candidate will be self-motivated, happy working both independently and in a team setting, and willing to sometimes work extended hours (often at weekends) and on projects outside of core duties if required.
- BSc in Environmental Management, Biology, Environmental Science or equivalent vocational experience.
- Experience or knowledge of biosecurity procedures including control measures.
- Line management experience
- Experience of project management
- Knowledge of conservation management on small islands or the UK Overseas Territories.
- Experience of 4×4 off road driving
- Valid first aid certificate
How to Apply
Please apply using the attached link:
Please mention ConservationJobs.co.uk when applying for this job!
£13,750 per annum, food allowance, free accommodation and other benefits
Ascension Island Government
Biodiversity, Biology, Communication, Conservation, Countryside & Land Management, Ecology, Education, Environment, Nature & Wildlife, Sustainability
Ascension Island, Saint Helena
14th August 2022 at 3:02pm