Senior Programme Officer – Malaysia
Purpose of Job:
The main function of this position is to provide technical input and leadership to the TRAFFIC Southeast Asia regional programme as well as management of key projects. This role is focused on the management and delivery of projects, but will include involvement in project and proposal design, development and implementation, protocols for information collection and research methodology, data analysis and report writing. As such, the Senior Programme Officer is expected to be aware of the full breadth of TRAFFIC’s programmes.
The Senior Programme Officer will carry out the following activities:
1. Manage and implement TRAFFIC’s Global Programme in Southeast Asia, including:
- Ensure timely delivery of all projects being implemented and / supervised. This includes the supervision of staff and / consultants as necessary;
- Work with the Regional Director to developing the overall programme and project portfolio of TSEA
- Work with TSEA team members at others within the network to coordinate input and involvement in the delivery of TRAFFIC’s Programme;
- Develop proposals to raise funds to implement the work of TSEA;
- Compile, analyse and publish research findings as applicable;
- Supervise and assist colleagues in developing and implementing projects under TSEA’s work plan
2. Work with the Regional Director on expanding and growing the Southeast Asia programme portfolio including working with government, conservation NGOs, donor community and the private sector, as necessary. This includes developing proposals to addresss trade studies and those aimed at building the capacity within relevant national authorities for the implementation of CITES and national trade controls, and others as directed by the Regional Director;
3. In consultation and conjunction with the TSEA regional programme colleagues, assist in developing materials to better assist enforcement agencies to address illegal trade (species identification materials etc), providing training on wildlife trade and CITES whenever required and provide law enforcement support working closely with TRAFFIC’s capacity building team;
4. Participate in the general activities of TSEA, particularly events and activities that require the full support and participation of all staff, whether or not the focus of any particular event or activity has any bearing on your job description and assigned project objectives and activities.
- Ensure effective support is provided to all Project Assistants, and Consultants, if any, under your supervision. TSEA operates under policies/terms and conditions specified by WWF-Malaysia, so both you and those under your guidance need to adhere to all procedures, policies and terms and conditions that are specified by WWF-Malaysia and that are contained within the ‘WWF-Malaysia Employee Guidebook on Terms and Conditions of Service’ and that are specified within assigned project documents.
- Participate in and provide relevant inputs to TSEA’s periodic (annual or otherwise) Programme planning and review process. You may be assigned specific tasks in preparation for such planning and review processes.
- Provide support to TSEA and provide full co-operation to the Finance and Administrative Department. This will include implementation of all procedures as contained in the ‘WWF-Malaysia Employee Guidebook on Terms and Conditions of Service’, reference to the Guidelines for the Operations of the TRAFFIC Network and the TRAFFIC Financial Procedures and Policies Manual– all of which will be given to you.
- To develop a close professional working relationship with the Senior Programme Manager to whom you will be reporting to, respectively and ultimately to the Regional Director.
- Realise that whilst a one-to-one relationship with the Senior Programme Manager and relevant individual members of the organisation is critical, some components of the assigned work or the work of others, within or outside the implementation of projects, may require teamwork at various levels. You are expected to work with others in team-spirit for the good of the organisation and towards meeting its conservation objectives.
- Nurture and maintain positive relationships with TSEA and WWF-Malaysia staff members, Malaysian NGOs, government agencies that have conservation objectives and goals that are similar or complementary to those of TSEA and WWF-Malaysia.
- Undergraduate degree or Postgraduate diploma/degree in related field with good writing skills.
- Excellent written and oral skills in English. Additional regional languages will be an added advantage.
- Experience with team and administrative management in a group working environment.
- Good interpersonal skills, innovative thinking, versatile ability to work in a team and independently.
- Good understanding of current national and regional issues especially an interest in environmental and nature conservation issues, geopolitics and wildlife trade.
How to Apply
Please apply for this position, via: https://hrms.iucn.org/iresy/index.cfm?event=vac.show&vacId=2789
Please mention ConservationJobs.co.uk when applying for this job!
Mid Level, Postgraduate, Senior
Biodiversity, Conservation, Sustainability
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
2nd September 2018 at 12:00pm