Senior Technical Bid Writer (Full-Time / Permanent)
We’re ZSL, an international conservation charity. Our vision is a world where wildlife thrives and we’re working every day to achieve this. From investigating the health threats facing animals, to helping people and wildlife live alongside each other, we are committed to bringing wildlife back from the brink of extinction. Through the work of our pioneering scientists, our dedicated conservationists and our unrivalled animal experts in our two zoos, we guide and enable others in the UK and all across the world. Inspiring, informing, empowering – working for wildlife.
ZSL is seeking a highly credible and collaborative individual to be our new Senior Technical Bid Writer. Reporting directly to the Head of International Fundraising, this role will play a key role in leading the bid development process including the drafting of large-scale funding bids for multi-lateral agencies to help ZSL meet its strategic aims. The post holder will achieve this by working closely with the Fundraising team and colleagues across our Conservation & Policy Programme and Institute of Zoology in strengthening ZSL’s international donor base. This will involve maintaining and enhancing existing donor relationships, identifying and cultivating new avenues for income generation and increasing the volume and success rate of large-scale funding proposals by supporting the drafting of technical bids and associated documents as part of the proposal submission.
We are looking for an exceptional, persuasive and versatile writer, with a high degree of attention to detail – drafting, editing and proofreading bids and supporting material will be a key responsibility. Strong knowledge and prior experience of designing and drafting of large-scale technical bids for submission to bilateral development agencies is essential. Previous experience in the context of science, conservation and international development will be considered an asset. Must have a proven ability to work to rigid timelines and work well under pressure. In many situations, you could be working on multiple bids at the same time and, therefore, multi-tasking and workload management is a crucial skill required for this role.
Main Duties and Responsibilities:
- Working with Fundraising Senior Management Team, maintain and cultivate strategic donor relationships with international government and multilateral agencies, in order to identify large-scale funding opportunities whilst ensuring the highest level of professionalism and care, using strong influencing and persuasion skills.
- To support the end-to-end management and ownership throughout the entirety of the bid lifecycle, working closely with cross-societal teams to draft compelling narratives and develop associated documents including budgets in partnership with Finance teams, ensuring that deadlines are met, and submissions are compliant, well written and coordinated in a timely manner.
- Support any required due diligence procedures for submissions in collaboration with relevant internal teams.
- Review the proposal submission against donor requirements, for quality and accuracy as part of a team.
Ideally the successful candidate will have:
- A post-graduate degree level qualification in a related field or equivalent work experience.
- Extensive track record in fundraising for science and conservation projects commensurate with ZSL’s work.
- Proven track record of developing successful fundraising proposals to bilateral and multilateral donors and experience in designing.
- Comfortable with reading and analysing scientific research and translating complex ideas into well-presented, persuasive fundraising pitches.
- Sound understanding of key issues relevant to biodiversity conservation combined with global or overseas work experience would be highly advantageous.
- Strong project management skills, able to oversee multiple projects and prioritise as necessary.
- Demonstrable experience and ability to write coherent and well-develop funding proposals and reports.
- Flexibility to travel regularly to field sites, country offices, conferences and workshops.
- Exceptional written and verbal communications skills; fluency in English is essential.
- A solution-focused approach and the ability to make objective decisions under pressure will make you a success in this role.
Please note: This is a full-time (37.5 hours per week), permanent contract position reporting to the Head of International Fundraising. The post will be based at ZSL’s head office in Regents Park. Having a “can do attitude”, solution-focused approach and the ability to make objective decisions under pressure will make you a success in this role.
This role offers a competitive salary plus a comprehensive benefits package including 25 days holiday, joint contributory pension scheme (7% employer contribution), complimentary zoo tickets and more.
How to Apply
Applicants will need to upload their CV and covering letter (detailing relevant experience and skills, stating why they want the position and including details of availability) by clicking here. If you have any queries regarding this position or when applying through the system please contact Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Closing date for applications: Midnight (23:59) Sunday 18th November 2018.
The Zoological Society of London is a charity registered in England and Wales: no. 208728.
ZSL kindly requests no contact from agencies or media sales please regarding this position.
Please mention ConservationJobs.co.uk when applying for this job!
£41,124 – £44,530 p.a inclusive of London Weighting (commensurate with experience) plus benefits
Administration, Biodiversity, Climate Change, Communication, Conservation, Countryside & Land Management, Ecology, Education, Environment, Fundraising, Marine Conservation, Nature & Wildlife, Policy & Legislation, Research, Sustainability
ZSL London Zoo, Regents Park, United Kingdom
Not specified, apply soon.