Wetland Centre Photography Volunteer
The Wildfowl and Wetlands Centre Caerlaverock Wetland Centre, Dumfriesshire Ad expires in 4 days Temporary Graduate, Mid Level, Senior Part Time
Why do we need you?
At WWT, we create and conserve wetlands and save species. We bring awe-inspiring nature up close and let it do the talking. We help people to feel part of something amazing and motivate them to make a difference. In this role you will be visiting your local WWT centre on a weekly basis to capture wildlife spectacles and species for inclusion in promotional material for print, online and social media.
What will you be doing?
- Capturing images of the centre, events and people on a regular basis (depending on skill level).
- Receiving direction from the HQ Media Production team and the centre Engagement Officer as well as taking pictures whenever you find an opportunity (a gGap list of required images will be available for you to work to).
- Working proactively with staff and volunteers at your local centre to capture key events that would make engaging content for website, marketing materials, social media etc.
Who are we looking for?
No formal qualifications are required but you will ideally be able to provide good quality examples of images you have taken to demonstrate a high level of skill in people photography (See here for examples of the kinds of images we use regularly): https://www.wwt.org.uk/support/volunteer-with-wwt/volunteering-opportunities/
In addition, this role would be suitable for you if you:
- Are proactive in seeking out photo opportunities
- Are patient and willing to spend time waiting for the right filming opportunity
- Have a keen eye for interesting and inspiring photographs
- Don’t mind working in all weathers and interacting with visitors, volunteers and staff
- Are comfortable with file handling and transfer between centres and HQ at Slimbridge
- Have use of your own photographic equipment
How will you benefit?
- This is an excellent opportunity to work within internationally important wetland sites.
- Discount is available in the cafe and shop on the days of volunteering.
- Free entry to all WWT wetland centres throughout the UK on presentation of your WWT name badge.
- Appropriate induction will be provided.
- Wherever possible we will credit you for any of your images we use.
This position may require work during evenings, weekends and public holidays to ensure the objectives of the project are met. The exact hours you are able to contribute will be discussed prior to placement.
In order for you – and us – to reap the most benefit from this role, we would hope that you could offer a minimum of six months commitment.
Please note that WWT retains copyright of any material you shoot while you are on its premises (including centres, grounds and reserves).
A current driving licence is essential for access to the centre. We regret that we are not in a position to reimburse expenses incurred for travel to the site. Any pre-agreed out-of-pocket expenses incurred in the course of the role will be reimbursed.
Please mention ConservationJobs.co.uk when applying for this Job!