Beginning Birdwatching Course with Chris Lee
RSPB SouthWest Darts Farm, Topsham, Exeter RSPB adult member £28, non-member £40 Ad expires in 1 month Events
Thursday 16 March
6.30 pm-8.30 pm
Price: RSPB adult member £28, non-member £40
This respected well-liked course is delivered on behalf of the RSPB by our volunteer, Chris Lee for those new to the world of birds.
“You’ve really got me hooked into our amazing feathered friends!” was the delightful response of a recent participant.
“The quality of the teaching was second to none. Chris was the perfect man for the job! Nothing was ever too much trouble. We had group learning sessions, fun quizzes, films to watch, talks, diagrams drawn for us, maps shown, etc, etc.”
Venue: Darts Farm, Estuary room
Course Leader: Chris Lee
Start date: Thurs 16 March 2017
Finish date: Thurs 1 June 2017
Sessions: each 2 hours in length 6:30 pm – 8:30 pm
Number of sessions: 10 including a guided walk at RSPB Bowling Green Marsh nature reserve
Booking essential.Click here to book.
At the end of the course you’ll be able to tell your redshank from your greenshank and your swallow from your swift! You’ll learn about migration, equipment, conservation and you’ll be inspired to develop your identification skills further. This course is designed for you – and you’ll be able to find out more about what interests you most in the bird world.
- Thurs 16 March: Introduction. Course outline. Bird identification: garden birds (part 1)
- Thurs 23 March: Choosing books, magazines, websites, apps. Recording results. Bird ID: garden birds (part 2)
- Thurs 6 April: Choosing equipment. Darts Farm walk
- Thurs 13 April: Waders. Bird songs/calls
- Thurs 20 April, 5.30 pm: Evening walk – RSPB Bowling Green Marsh nature reserve or Sat 291 April, 9.30 am: Daytime walk – RSPB Bowling Green Marsh nature reserve
- Thurs 27 April: Speciation. Bird ID: wildfowl
- Thurs 4 May: The work of the RSPB Bird ID: seabirds
- Thurs 11 May: Bird behaviour. Bird senses. Bird ID: countryside/field
- Thurs 25 May: Migration. Bird ID: raptors
- Thurs 1 June: What’s your favourite and why? Bird ID: woodland. Where do you go from here?