Animal Care – Birds
Why do we need you?
At WWT, we create and conserve wetlands and save species. We bring awe-inspiring nature up close and let it do the talking. In this role you will be assisting the Aviculture team in all aspects of caring for the birds in our living collection. This role would be an ideal placement for someone studying Animal Care/ Biology/ Ecology/ Conservation Science who is looking to gain hands-on experience.
Who will be responsible for your role? Aviculture Warden
Where will you be based? WWT Slimbridge Centre
How much time will it take? We are looking for volunteers who can offer 3 to 5 days per week, for a minimum of 6 weeks from April. Days start at 8.00am and finish at 4.30pm.
What will you be doing?
- Assisting with the cleaning of duckery ponds, coops and housing facilities.
- Vital bird observation tasks.
- Maintenance of pens and breeding facilities.
- Bird feeding according to best practice guidelines.
- Vegetation work.
- Assisting with bird catches and movements.
- Assisting in ringing birds.
- Help in administering treatments.
- Using training techniques to support the bird team in their work.
- Assisting with feeding in on-show areas.
- The potential for research experience and censoring techniques.
- The potential for experience in bird habitat and exhibit design.
- An induction in bio-security and best practice care.
Who are we looking for?
To be effective in this role you will need:
- To be a team player with the ability to work under your own initiative.
- Excellent attention to detail.
- A can-do attitude.
- Experience in bird keeping and practical habitat management.
- Understanding of bird welfare.
- Ability to work independently and self-motivate.
- Good communication skills.
- Tractor, lawn mower and strimmer qualifications desirable.
- Full UK driving license desirable.
How will you benefit?
- This is an excellent opportunity to volunteer within an internationally important wetland site in a really hands-on role.
- Suitable uniform is provided to all regular volunteers.
- Discount is available in the cafe and shop on the days of volunteering.
- Free entry to all WWT wetland centres throughout the UK on presentation of your WWT name badge.
- Appropriate training will be provided.
- A review after the first month to ensure the role is right for you.
- Accommodation in the volunteer hostel for full-time volunteers subject to availability.
- A suitable reference to help you apply for jobs.
How to Apply
For more information and to apply, please visit: https://www.wwt.org.uk/join-and-support/volunteering/volunteering-opportunities/animal-care-birds-support
Please mention ConservationJobs.co.uk when applying for this job!
Wildfowl and Wetlands Trust
Full Time, Part Time
Entry Level, Graduate
Biodiversity, Biology, Conservation, Nature & Wildlife, Workshop & Practical Skills
Slimbridge Wetland Centre, United Kingdom
29th April 2019 at 1:00pm