Animal Care – Birds
At WWT we create and conserve wetlands and save species. We bring awe-inspiring nature up close and let it do the talking. Our aviculture team is responsible for the care, breeding and welfare of WWT’s collection birds and the rearing of the young. We are looking for enthusiastic volunteers to join the Aviculture team. This is a great opportunity to work directly with the birds and gain valuable experience in animal keeping and conservation.
What will you be doing?
- Assisting with the day-to-day management of waterfowl exhibits including exhibit maintenance and practical working.
- Assisting the Aviculture team with animal management including feeding, health checks and species audits.
- Assisting with the rearing of young birds and the breeding programme.
- Assisting with tours of the duckery and Living Collections.
Who are we looking for?
Previous experience of animal husbandry is desirable but not essential. We are looking for enthusiastic people who are keen to learn, are able to work as part of a team or on their own.
In order to carry out this role, you will need:
- Interest in gaining experience in animal keeping and conservation
- Ability to work independently or as part of a team
- Good communication skills
- Driving licence would be an advantage
- To be practical and physically able.
- You must be 18 years or over to carry-out this role.
How will you benefit?
- This is an excellent opportunity to gain practical experience with our Aviculture team. You will learn the skills and techniques they have developed through many years of rearing wildfowl, and will be involved in internationally and locally important conservation breeding programmes.
- You will be provided with a suitable uniform for regular volunteering.
- A discount is available in the café and shop on the days of volunteering.
- Free entry to all WWT wetland centres throughout the UK on presentation of your WWT name badge.
- Appropriate training will be provided.
How to Apply
For further information and to apply please see our website:
Please mention ConservationJobs.co.uk when applying for this job!
Wildfowl & Wetlands Trust
Entry Level, Graduate, Mid Level, Senior
Biodiversity, Education, Environment, Nature & Wildlife
Castle Espie, United Kingdom
Not specified, apply soon.