Animal Care Placement – Living Collections Assistant
We are looking to recruit volunteers for a 6 to 12 month period for 4 / 5 days a week. These placements will help the Living Collections team. These are great opportunities for people looking to gain or build animal care experience, or willing to get stuck in to outdoor work with animals.
We are involved in maintaining and developing exhibits within the site at Castle Espie in order to enhance the visitor experience. This involves caring for our large collection of rare and endangered species of waterfowl from around the world.
Who will be responsible for your role?
Collection Keeper (overseen by the Grounds and Facilities Manager)
Where will you be based?
Castle Espie grounds
How much time will it take?
4-5 days per week 9.00am – 4.00/5.00pm from September 2021.
(Seasonal) with a commitment to a minimum of a 6 month period in order to get the most benefit from your placement. This can be done as part of a course between years.
What will you be doing?
- Daily feed preparation, routines and creating animal enrichment
- Cleaning animal rearing facilities, equipment, ponds and exhibits and ensuring they are in good repair
- Undertaking animal census and recording of daily routines
- Weeding in exhibits and cutting back vegetation in and around exhibits.
- Pond maintenance
- Working as part of the centre opening/closing team undertaking tasks to ensure the site is ready for visitors on opening and cleared of visitors on closing (electric fence maintenance)
- Conducting public feed alongside occasional guided tours/ daily visitor engagement.
- Maintaining and improving exhibit fence lines
- Assisting with animal handling and annual health checks
- During breeding season; checking nest boxes, incubators and assisting in the animal rearing facilities
- Occasional tasks may include: building nest boxes, feeders and animal shelters, constructing enclosures and ponds, or assisting with large grounds team projects
- A variety of seasonal duties including putting out and bringing in nest boxes, winter shelter preparation and bedding changing·
- Record keeping and animal health and welfare reporting
- Assisting with pest management protocols and camera trap data
How to Apply
Please mention ConservationJobs.co.uk when applying for this job!
The Wildfowl & Wetlands Trust
Entry Level, Graduate
Conservation, Nature & Wildlife
WWT Castle Espie, County Down, NI, United Kingdom
16th December 2020 at 10:58am