Assistant Research Officer Costa Rica
To assist with all aspects of the research programme involving daily supervision of research team, data analysis and report writing (self funded).
GENERAL OUTLINE OF THE ROLE
- Assist the Principal Investigator with the development and implementation of the research programme
- Daily organisation and supervision of the survey programme
- Supervision, management and training of volunteers/assistants
- Preparation of project reports and publication of results in scientific journals
- Assist with project logistics and administration
MAIN DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Assist the Principal Investigator in implementing the standard programme of research to cover each survey component depending on location, e.g. vegetation; ungulates; small mammals; bats, reptiles and amphibians, and selected invertebrate groups, including millipedes, molluscs and butterflies;
- Assist the Principal Investigator in the accredited and non-accredited training of the volunteer Research Assistants and other project participants where necessary and supervise their implementation in the field survey;
- Assist the Principal Investigator or Project Coordinator in the management, support, motivation and development of volunteers / research assistants;
- Assist the Principal Investigator in managing the collection and processing of accurate field data, including specimen collection, for all survey components;
- Ensure that the specimens collected on each phase are adequately preserved;
- Produce sections of the technical reports and scientific papers to the schedule agreed with the Principal Investigator and the Research and Development and Operations Managers (London HQ);
- Assist the Principal Investigator in managing and supervising the maintenance of the project’s scientific resources;
- Provide the Principal Investigator with regular (minimum quarterly) progress updates and ensure that these updates are passed on to the London HQ;
- Assist with the logistical operations relating to the project including administration and management of finances; production of accounts and reports; allocation, use and maintenance of project resources; management of local staff; and supervision of the
- activities of and ensuring the health and safety of project staff, volunteers and host country participants.
TERMS & CONDITIONS
Contract Duration: An initial 6 month period with the possibility of extension.
Accommodation: Basic accommodation provided whilst at the field project site.
Travel: In-country ground travel costs to be provided.
International flights to be self-funded.
Participation Fee of £450 per quarter for all terrestrial projects (excluding Costa Rica) and £500 per quarter for marine projects and Costa Rica. To be paid by staff member to cover project participation.
Training: BTEC assessor training & pre-departure training provided.
- Qualifications Education/Knowledge:
- Graduate in an environmental or biological science discipline
- First aid qualification
- Minimum of PADI Advanced Open Water or equivalent (marine projects only).
- Relevant postgraduate qualification (desirable);
- Knowledge of natural resource management & rural development (desirable)
- Experience of data analysis & report-writing
- Minimum 3 month field research experience, preferably in a tropical environment (desirable);
- Experience of GIS applications (desirable);
- Experience of working with NGOs (desirable)
- Excellent written/oral communication & presentation skills;
- Administrative & time management skills;
- Ability to train research assistants;
- Knowledge of ecological monitoring (desirable);
- Technically orientated (desirable);
- Knowledge of local language (desirable)
- Demonstrable commitment to conservation
- Resilient & mature, with the ability to work as a team in basic living conditions
- Flexible approach
- Ability to motivate others
- Physical fitness
How to Apply
You can apply by visiting our website. For assistance please contact Steven Bratten at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please mention ConservationJobs.co.uk when applying for this job!
Madagascar, Fiji, Tenerife, Belize, Costa Rica, Tanzania, Tanzania
30th December 2017 at 3:15pm