Collection Support Team
Why do we need you?
At WWT we believe the best way for people to understand and connect to wetlands is to experience them, so we bring awe-inspiring nature up close and let it do the talking. At our wetland centres we shape unforgettable experiences for our visitors to engage with wetland wildlife and learn more about our pioneering work to conserve wetlands and save species around the world.
In this role you will be assisting the Collection Team in all aspects of caring for the wide variety of amazing birds in our living collection at the Arundel Centre, and their varied habitats.
Who will be responsible for your role? Collection Manager
Where will you be based? WWT Arundel Centre
How much time will it take? We are looking for volunteers who can commit to 1 to 2 days per week, on a regular basis and ideally over Weekends, Mondays and Tuesdays. Shifts days start at 8.00am and finish at 4.30pm. We will mutually agree the hours that you can contribute.
What will you be doing?
- Bird feeding according to best practice guidelines.
- Assisting with maintenance and cleaning of exhibits and collection facilities.
- Undertaking vital bird observation tasks.
- Helping with vegetation clearing, weeding, coppicing and pruning.
- Checking the birds are secure, gates are locked and fence lines intact.
- Repairing pond edging and cobbling works.
- Assisting with bird catches and movements.
- Cleaning nest boxes and winter hides, painting and maintaining them
- Potentially gaining experience in bird habitat and exhibit design.
- Undertaking an induction in bio-security and best practice care.
- Keeping up to date with WWT news and talking to visitors about forthcoming events/ activities that may be of interest
- Potentially presenting talks to the public (as agreed and with training)
Who are we looking for?
This role will suit you if you:
- Have excellent attention to detail and great communication skills.
- Have a can-do attitude and in all weathers.
- Are both practical and physically fit.
- Have experience in bird keeping and welfare.
- To be a team player with the ability to work under your own initiative.
- Have the ability to work independently and be self-motivated.
- Some practical habitat management is desirable.
- The confidence to engage our visitors with the work of WWT.
- A full UK driving license is desirable.
How will you benefit?
- This is an excellent opportunity to work within an internationally important wetland site in a really hands-on role
- You will be part of a friendly dedicated team of staff and volunteers who promote the work of WWT at Arundel and our network of sites.
- A suitable uniform and Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) will be provided (if required for tasks)
- A full induction to WWT and the Arundel Centre, role review and appropriate training will be provided.
- Enjoy free entry to all WWT wetland centres throughout the UK on presentation of your WWT name badge.
- A discount is available in the cafe and shop on the days of volunteering.
How to Apply
For more information and to apply, please visit: https://www.wwt.org.uk/support/volunteer-with-wwt/volunteering-opportunities/details/collection-support-team/165/
Please mention ConservationJobs.co.uk when applying for this job!
Wildfowl and Wetlands Trust
Entry Level, Graduate, Mid Level
Biodiversity, Biology, Conservation, Ecology, Environment, Nature & Wildlife, Workshop & Practical Skills
Arundel Wetland Centre, United Kingdom
Not specified, apply soon.