Collection Support Team
VOLUNTEER OPPORTUNITY: Collection Support Team
Why do we need you?
At WWT we believe the best way for people to understand and connect to wetlands is to experience them, so we bring awe-inspiring nature up close and let it do the talking. At our wetland centres we shape unforgettable experiences for our visitors to engage with wetland wildlife and learn more about our pioneering work to conserve wetlands and save species around the world.
In this role you will be assisting the Collection Team in all aspects of caring for the wide variety of amazing birds in our living collection at the Arundel Centre, and their varied habitats.
Who will be responsible for your role? Collection Manager
Where will you be based? WWT Arundel Centre
How much time will it take? We are looking for volunteers who can commit to 1 to 2 days per week, on a regular basis and ideally over Weekends, Mondays and Tuesdays. Shifts days start at 8.00am and finish at 4.30pm. We will mutually agree the hours that you can contribute.
What will you be doing?
- Bird feeding according to best practice guidelines.
- Assisting with maintenance and cleaning of exhibits and collection facilities.
- Undertaking vital bird observation tasks.
- Helping with vegetation clearing, weeding, coppicing and pruning.
- Checking the birds are secure, gates are locked and fence lines intact.
- Repairing pond edging and cobbling works.
- Assisting with bird catches and movements.
- Cleaning nest boxes and winter hides, painting and maintaining them.
- Potentially gaining experience in bird habitat and exhibit design.
- Undertaking an induction in bio-security and best practice care.
- Keeping up to date with WWT news and talking to visitors about forthcoming events/ activities that may be of interest.
- Potentially presenting talks to the public (as agreed and with training)
Who are we looking for? 1/2
This role will suit you if you:
- Have excellent attention to detail and great communication skills.
- Have a can-do attitude and in all weathers.
- Are both practical and physically fit.
- Have experience in bird keeping and welfare.
- To be a team player with the ability to work under your own initiative.
- Have the ability to work independently and be self-motivated.
- Have some practical habitat management.
- Have the confidence to engage our visitors with the work of WWT
- A full UK driving license would help with access to the site.
How will you benefit?
- This is an excellent opportunity to work within an internationally important wetland site in a really hands-on role.
- You will be part of a friendly dedicated team of staff and volunteers who promote the work of WWT at Arundel and our network of sites.
- A suitable uniform and Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) will be provided (if required for tasks)
- A full induction to WWT and the Arundel Centre, role review and appropriate training will be provided.
- Enjoy free entry to all WWT wetland centres throughout the UK on presentation of your WWT name badge.
- A discount is available in the cafe and shop on the days of volunteering.
There are limited public transport routes directly to the Arundel Wetland Centre, but good routes to Arundel town. Please see our website for travel details. We regret we are not in a position to reimburse expenses incurred in travelling to and from the centre, but any pre-agreed expenses incurred in the course of your duties will be reimbursed.
The exact hours you are able to contribute will be discussed and mutually agreed prior to placement. This position is entirely voluntary and is therefore unpaid. Any offer of a volunteer opportunity is not intended to create a legally binding contract between us and any agreement may be cancelled at any time at the discretion of either party. Neither of us intends any employment relationship to be created either now or at any time in the future.
How to Apply
How to Apply:
to complete and submit the online application form. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any problems. Successful applicants will be asked to come to the centre and meet the team, find out more about the role and discuss availability before being offered a placement.
Please mention ConservationJobs.co.uk when applying for this job!
Wildfowl & Wetlands Trust
Entry Level, Graduate, Mid Level, Postgraduate
Nature & Wildlife
Arundel, United Kingdom
Not specified, apply soon.