Conservation – Breeding Unit Assistant
Working in the Conservation Breeding Unit you will assist with aspects of vegetation management (grass-cutting mainly) and building maintenance (e.g. applying timber treatments to wooden buildings) to ensure the safety of birds in conservation breeding programmes.
How much time will it take? Normally one day per week – hours to be agreed probably a Tuesday
What will you be doing?
To maintain the Conservation Breeding Unit facilities, you will
1/ Assist us to keep bird enclosures and boundary fence-lines ‘clear’ of vegetation by:
- Push-mower grass cutting
- Blackthorn/ bramble ‘brush’ clearance using ‘prunners’ or brushcutters (minimal)
- Hand weeding (e.g. thistles) inside bird enclosures
2/ Assist us to keep enclosures and buildings safe for birds by:
- Repairing fences
- Hand clean plastic and fibreglass ponds and rearing tanks, from time to time using a power washer to do this and to clean artificial substrates such as rubber or cloth mats
- Conducting basic DIY and cleaning of store rooms
- Applying timber treatments to wooden buildings
Who are we looking for?
You will be suited for this role if you have:
- An interest in (and experience of) gardening
- A practical approach to tasks and general DIY know-how
- A willingness to learn
- A reasonable level of fitness
- Willing to work in all weathers
- Good communication skills
- Ability to work as part of a team or alone as required
- Full UK driving license – desirable
How will you benefit?
- This is an excellent opportunity to work within an internationally important wetland site
- Suitable uniform is provided to all regular volunteers
- Free entry to all WWT wetland centre throughout the UK on presentation of your WWT name badge.
- Discount is available in the cafe and shop on the days of volunteering
- Training opportunities will be provided
How to Apply
Apply on line:
Or feel free to email; firstname.lastname@example.org
Please mention ConservationJobs.co.uk when applying for this job!
The Wildfowl and Wetlands Trust (WWT)
Graduate, Mid Level, Postgraduate
Conservation, Ecology, Environment
Slimbridge HQ, Gloucestershire, United Kingdom
Not specified, apply soon.