Family Activities Assistant (School Holidays)
Why do we need you?
At WWT we believe the best way for people to understand and connect to wetlands is to experience them, so we bring awe-inspiring nature up close. Here at Slimbridge Wetland Centre we provide a warm welcome and memorable day out to all our visitors, whether they are regular members or first timers. As part of our Learning team you will help provide engaging nature based activities for families and groups visiting during school holidays.
Who will be responsible for your role? Learning Manager
Where will you be based? WWT Slimbridge Wetland Centre
How much time will it take?
We are looking to develop a volunteer rota to cover weekdays and weekends through each school holiday period except Wednesdays. (Half term: 26th May – 3rd June. Summer: 26th July – 2nd Sept. Half term: 20th – 28th Oct. Also weekends through December to help out as an Elf at our Santa events (optional). We are seeking volunteers who can offer a minimum of one day per week, from 10am until 4.30pm during these dates. We will discuss this with you and mutually agree your hours prior to placement.
What will you be doing?
- Supporting our friendly Learning team in creating, managing and supervising the art and craft activities on offer to visitors during the school holidays.
- Helping to organise and run themed activities for families during our holiday periods. During the summer these will include helping out at Lego workshops and afternoon pond dipping sessions.
- Keeping up to date with happenings at the Centre and talk to visitors about forthcoming event/activities that may be of interest. Answering visitor questions both related to the activity and the rest of the Centre.
- Providing support to other areas of the centre where required.
- Any other reasonable activities, as requested by the person responsible for your role, from time to time.
Who are we looking for?
Previous experience in running similar events is desirable but not essential. We are looking for keen and enthusiastic people who enjoy working with families and children. In order to carry out this role, you will need:
- Good communication skills and an outgoing personality.
- A willingness to talk to visitors both on a one-to-one level and to larger groups.
- An interest in education related activities.
- Excellent customer service skills.
- The ability to work on your own initiative under the direction of the Learning Manager.
How will you benefit?
- This is an excellent opportunity to volunteer within an established conservation organisation visitor attraction – ideal for those considering a career in environmental education.
- Join a creative and happy team as they share their passion for nature with our visitors.
- Suitable uniform is provided to all regular volunteers.
- Discount is available in the cafe and shop on the days of volunteering.
- Appropriate training will be provided.
This position may require work during weekends and public holidays to ensure the objectives of the project are met. The exact hours you are able to contribute will be discussed prior to placement.
There is no public transport and so your own transport is essential for access to the centre. We regret that we are not in a position to reimburse expenses incurred for travel to the site. Any pre-agreed out-of-pocket expenses incurred in the course of the role will be reimbursed.
How to Apply
Details of this role and an online application form are on the WWT website at www.wwt.org.uk/ volunteer Please complete and submit the form. If you have any problems completing the application online please email email@example.com or call 01453 891240.
Successful applicants will be asked to come to the centre and meet the team, find out more about the role and discuss availability before being offered a placement.
Please mention ConservationJobs.co.uk when applying for this job!
Wildfowl & Wetlands Trust (WWT)
Full Time, Part Time
Conservation, Education, Environment, Nature & Wildlife
WWT Slimbridge, United Kingdom
Not specified, apply soon.