Family Engagement Volunteer (Welney)
Why do we need you?
At WWT we shape unforgettable experiences for our visitors. We believe the best way for people to understand and connect to wetlands is to experience them, so we bring awe-inspiring nature up close and let it do the talking. By volunteering as part of our Welney team you will be supporting WWT to provide our visitors with a great day out, encouraging them to engage with and support our work to save wetlands for life.
As a family engagement volunteer, you will be delivering a variety of fun and educational activities during key seasonal events, which the whole family can enjoy together. We believe that getting children enthused about wetlands at an early age is the best way to ensure they become future nature advocates, by also involving the parents too the whole family learn the skills to fully enjoy and look after nature every day. We are looking for volunteers to help us over weekends, bank holidays and school holidays. Full training and induction will be provided along with opportunities for more detailed training on specific areas of site biodiversity.
Who will be responsible for your role?
Marketing & Events Officer
Where will you be based?
WWT Welney Wetland Centre
How much time will it take?
Preferably one day a week, over weekends, bank holidays and school holidays. Activities are available to visitors from 9.30am to 5pm, and there may be some occasional evening activities.
We will mutually agree the hours that you can contribute and it would be helpful if you could try to give us as much notice as possible on the occasions when you are not able to contribute those hours.
What will you be doing?
- Working as part of a small team to engage our family visitors with fun and entertaining days out, focussing on informal activities and seasonal events throughout the year: from pond dipping and bug hunting, to bird watching and owl pellet dissection!
- helping to prepare and run seasonal holiday events and WWT national events such as Puddle Jumping, GIANT Duck Trail, and Lego Trail
- supporting staff with delivering other special events, such as bats and barn owl evening walks, and guided walks
- assisting staff and volunteers with occasional media related activities and placing prepared self-led seasonal interpretation around the reserve
- keeping up to date with the latest news and events at the centre and talking to visitors about forthcoming events and activities that may be of interest
- having an overview of the basic centre knowledge to be able to assist any visitors who ask for guidance whilst you are active in the centre and on the reserve
- taking due care for the safety, welfare and enjoyment of the visiting public, especially children
What are we looking for?
In order to carry out this role, you will:
- have an interest and enthusiasm for the work of WWT
- have an approachable, warm and friendly manner
- be keen, enthusiastic and willing to learn
- be happy to work as part of friendly, busy team and on your own at times
- have an excellent ability to communicate effectively with staff and other volunteers
- a commitment to providing excellent customer service
How will you benefit?
- be part of a friendly and dedicated team of staff and volunteers
- this is an excellent opportunity to work within an internationally important wetland site in the UK, learn useful skills and gain insightful experience in our work across WWT
- an induction will be provided as well as other appropriate training and development opportunities
- a suitable WWT uniform will be provided
- a discount is available in the cafe and shop on the days of volunteering
- free entry for volunteers to any WWT site on display of their volunteering badge
We regret that we are not in a position to reimburse travel expenses, however pre-agreed out of pocket expenses incurred in the course of your volunteering activities will be reimbursed. There are limited public transport routes directly to the Welney Wetland Centre and so use of your own vehicle or lift sharing would be helpful. Please see our webpage for further details.
This position is entirely voluntary and is therefore unpaid. Any offer of a volunteer placement is not intended to create a legally binding contract between us and any agreement may be cancelled at any time at the discretion of either party. Neither of us intends any employment relationship to be created either now or at any time in the future.
How to Apply
Please complete and submit an online application form via our website http://www.wwt.org.uk/support/volunteer-with-wwt/. If you have any problems completing the application online please email firstname.lastname@example.org
Successful applicants will be asked to come and meet the team to find out more about the role and discuss availability before being offered a placement.
Please mention ConservationJobs.co.uk when applying for this job!
Wildfowl & Wetlands Trust
Entry Level, Graduate
Education, Nature & Wildlife
Welney, United Kingdom
Not specified, apply soon.