Why do we need you?
As part of our Learning team you will help deliver engaging nature based activities for families and groups visiting during weekends and school holidays.
At WWT we believe that the best way for people to understand and connect to wetlands is to experience them, so we bring awe-inspiring nature up close and let it do the talking. At Slimbridge Wetland Centre visitors can explore unique wetland habitats and the amazing array of birds, mammals and amphibians that inhabit them. Our volunteers help to welcome and inspire visitors, and look after our unique habitats and heritage.
Who will be responsible for your role?
Where will you be based?
WWT Slimbridge Wetland Centre
How much time will it take?
Volunteer sessions are a minimum of 4 hours, and are likely to be at weekends and during school holidays.
What will you be doing?
- Assisting in delivering themed activities and/or workshops for families during event weekends and school holiday periods.
- Supervising afternoon pond dipping sessions during the summer holidays.
- Helping to prepare and supervise art and craft activities within our new Create & Connect exhibit (opening 2020).
- Delivering Really Wild Birthday party activities. Summer/Spring party activities include amphibian handling, pond dipping and feeding the birds. Autumn/Winter activities include amphibian handling, nature explorer activity (binocular in hides, sound guns in grounds, spotter sheet) and feeding the birds.
- Answering visitor queries about family activities and the wider Centre.
Who are we looking for?
This role will suit you if you:
- Enjoy working with families and children
- Have good communication skills and an outgoing personality
- Have a willingness to talk to visitors both on a one-to-one level and to larger groups
- Are interested in education related activities and the natural environment
- Have previous experience of delivering family events (although not essential)
- Have excellent customer service skills
- Are happy volunteering on your own initiative under the direction of the Learning Manager
How to Apply
Full details of this role and an online application form can be found at https://www.wwt.org.uk/wetland-centres/slimbridge/slimbridge-2020/volunteering-at-slimbridge/. If you have any problems locating the information or filling out the application form please email firstname.lastname@example.org
Please mention ConservationJobs.co.uk when applying for this job!
Wildfowl and Wetlands Trust
Entry Level, Graduate, Mid Level, Postgraduate, Senior
Biodiversity, Biology, Communication, Conservation, Education, Nature & Wildlife, Workshop & Practical Skills
Slimbridge Wetland Centre, United Kingdom
3rd March 2019 at 12:00am