Why do we need you?
At WWT, we shape unforgettable experiences. By working as part of the Grounds volunteer team you will assist with the maintenance of all aspects of gardening within the grounds at Martin Mere, in order to exhibit our waterfowl and mammals from around the world to the highest standards. This will help to provide our visitors with a great day out and encourage them to engage with and support our work to save wetlands for Wildlife and people.
Who will be responsible for your role?
Grounds Manager. The grounds warden will be responsible for day to day supervision.
Where will you be based?
Martin Mere Wetland Centre
How much time will it take?
Normally one day per week – hours to be agreed – this could be Monday, Tuesday or Wednesday.
We will mutually agree the hours that you can contribute and it would be helpful if you could try to give us as much notice as possible on the occasions when you are not able to contribute those hours.
What will you be doing?
Maintenance of the grounds including:
- Removing brush from around the grounds
- Weeding along path edges
- Assisting with removal of nettles and other weeds both in and outside of the enclosures
- Ensuring that fence lines are clear of vegetation
- Annual planting, pruning and harvesting
- General grounds maintenance as and when required
Who are we looking for?
You will be suited for this role if you have:
- An interest in (and experience of) gardening
- A practical approach to tasks
- A reasonable level of fitness
- A willingness to work in all weathers
- Ability to work as part of a team or alone as required
How will you benefit?
- This is an excellent opportunity to work within an internationally important wetland site
- Suitable uniform is provided to all regular volunteers
- Discount is available in the cafe and shop on the days of volunteering
- Training opportunities will be provided
How to Apply
For more information and to apply, please visit: https://www.wwt.org.uk/join-and-support/volunteering/volunteering-opportunities/grounds-gardening
Please mention ConservationJobs.co.uk when applying for this job!
Entry Level, Graduate
Biodiversity, Conservation, Countryside & Land Management, Ecology, Environment, Nature & Wildlife, Workshop & Practical Skills
Martin Mere Wetland Centre, United Kingdom
Not specified, apply soon.