Grounds – Gardening Volunteer
Our volunteers are pivotal in shaping unforgettable experiences for our visitors. Our Wetland centres help showcase the work WWT does, encouraging visitors to engage with and support wetlands and wildlife. As part of the Grounds and Facilities team you will be helping to maintain the centre and grounds to a high standard thus ensuring our visitors have a great day out.
We are looking for an enthusiastic volunteer who takes pride in a job well done and who has an eye for detail.
What will you be doing?
Assisting with the maintenance and development of our grounds, including the car park and sensory garden, to ensure the well-being of our living collection and enjoyment and safety of our visitors. Duties will include:
- Assisting with groundworks, including digging and scrub clearance
- Planting, weeding, pruning and propagation of plants
- Assisting us to maintain our visitor infrastructure to a high standard including path clearance and renewal, fencing, maintenance of water features, cleaning and maintenance of hides and outside furniture
- Assisting with the supervision of external volunteer groups
- Welcoming and engaging visitors
- Ensuring the safety, welfare and enjoyment of the visiting public
- Promoting the work of WWT to all visitors.
Who are we looking for?
We are seeking people who have the practical experience and are physically able to carry out the required tasks and activities as listed above. While no formal skills are required, this role would suit you if you have an interest in gardening and enjoy outdoor work. You will be someone who can see a task through from inception to completion, can work unsupervised and using your own initiative. You will also be a good team player and have the confidence to help supervise external groups. As much of your work will be carried out under the gaze of our visitors, you will also need to have a strong commitment to customer satisfaction and a willingness to engage with members of the public from time to time.
How will you benefit?
- This is an excellent opportunity to work within an internationally important wetland site.
- Suitable uniform is provided to all regular volunteers.
- Discount is available in the cafe and shop on the days of volunteering
- Training opportunities will be provided.
- You will gain a volunteering opportunity that enables you to carry out a diverse range of tasks, working in a beautiful location within a great team.
- Free entry to all WWT wetland centres throughout the UK on presentation of your WWT name badge.
How to Apply
For further information and to apply please see our website:
Please mention ConservationJobs.co.uk when applying for this job!
Wildfowl & Wetlands Trust
Entry Level, Graduate, Mid Level, Senior
Countryside & Land Management, Nature & Wildlife
Castle Espie, United Kingdom
Not specified, apply soon.