Grounds Support Team Volunteer
Why do we need you?
At WWT we believe the best way for people to understand and connect to wetlands is to experience them, so we bring awe-inspiring nature up close and let it do the talking. At our wetland centres we shape unforgettable experiences for our visitors to engage with wetland wildlife and learn more about our pioneering work to conserve wetlands and save species around the world.
In this role you will be providing regular support to the Grounds Team undertaking a range of practical tasks, playing a vital part in managing the site and being a visible and a key point of contact for visitors.
Who will be responsible for your role? Collection Manager
Where will you be based? WWT Arundel Centre
How much time will it take? We are looking for volunteers who can commit to 1 to 2 days per week, on a regular basis and ideally over Weekends, Mondays and Tuesdays. Shifts days start at 8.00am and finish at 4.30pm. We will mutually agree the hours that you can contribute.
What will you be doing?
- Preparing the Centre for opening: cleaning paths and rails, emptying bins, and topping-up grain and sanitizer units out in the grounds.
- Assisting with the maintenance of our visitor areas.
- Assisting with vegetation weeding, clearing, pruning, coppicing and planting.
- Repairing and maintaining pathways and edging.
- Repairing and replacing timber fences, gates and barriers, painting and preserving where required.
- Ensuring the safety, welfare and enjoyment of yourself and the visiting public.
- Keeping up to date with WWT news and talking to visitors about forthcoming events and activities that may be of interest.
Who are we looking for?
This role will suit you if you:
- Have an excellent attention to detail and great communication skills.
- Have a can-do attitude, and in all weathers.
- Some practical habitat management and maintenance experience is desirable.
- Are both practical and have a good level of physical fitness.
- Have the ability to work independently and self-motivate, under the direction and supervision of the Grounds and Collection staff
- Are a team player with the ability to work under your own initiative.
- The confidence to engage our visitors with the work of WWT.
How will you benefit?
- This is an excellent opportunity to work within an internationally important wetland site in a really hands-on role.
- You will be part of a friendly dedicated team of staff and volunteers who promote the work of WWT at Arundel and our network of sites.
- A suitable uniform and Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) will be provided (if required for tasks)
- A full induction to WWT and the Arundel Centre, role review and appropriate training will be provided.
- Enjoy free entry to all WWT wetland centres throughout the UK on presentation of your WWT name badge.
- A discount is available in the cafe and shop on the days of volunteering.
There are limited public transport routes directly to the Arundel Wetland Centre, but good routes to Arundel town. Please see our website for travel details. We regret we are not in a position to reimburse expenses incurred in travelling to and from the centre, but any pre-agreed expenses incurred in the course of your duties will be reimbursed.
The exact hours you are able to contribute will be discussed and mutually agreed prior to placement. This position is entirely voluntary and is therefore unpaid. Any offer of a volunteer opportunity is not intended to create a legally binding contract between us and any agreement may be cancelled at any time at the discretion of either party. Neither of us intends any employment relationship to be created either now or at any time in the future.
How to Apply
Please go to www.wwt.org.uk/volunteer to complete and submit the online application form, or copy and paste the link below:
Email firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any problems. Successful applicants will be asked to come to the centre and meet the team, find out more about the role and discuss availability before being offered a placement.
Please mention ConservationJobs.co.uk when applying for this job!
Wildfowl & Wetlands Trust
Entry Level, Graduate, Mid Level
Conservation, Nature & Wildlife, Workshop & Practical Skills
WWT Arundel Wetland Centre, United Kingdom
Not specified, apply soon.