Guide in the Hide
Why do we need you?
At WWT, we believe the best way for people to understand and connect to wetlands is to experience them, so we bring awe-inspiring nature up close and let it do the talking.
As a Guide in a Hide you will provide a warm welcome to our visitors and encourage them to make the most of their visit to WWT Welney Wetland Centre. In this role you will engage visitors of all ages and backgrounds in our bird hides by pointing out birds of key interest, providing identification tips and assisting them them to use optical equipment and guide books.
You will need to be equally at ease interacting with groups of children and families as you are talking to adult birders and photographers. In addition, you will undertake some basic maintenance tasks to keep the hides presentable and clean.
Who will be responsible for your role? Reserve Warden
Where will you be based? WWT Welney Wetland Centre
How much time will it take? We are looking for volunteers for Sundays. The exact hours you are able to contribute will be discussed prior to placement.
What will you be doing?
- Welcoming visitors to the hides.
- Providing visitors with the latest centre information on wildlife sightings.
- Talking to visitors about what they can see from hide windows and assisting them with identification.
- Using a telescope to showcase species of interest.
- Keeping up to date with wildlife news at the centre and directing visitors to other areas.
- Promoting forthcoming events and activities.
- Attending briefing sessions and familiarising yourself with events, activities, sightings and developments at the centre so that you can provide up-to-date information to our visitors.
- Recording bird species.
- Maintaining the observatory and hides (basic housekeeping-tidying chairs, cleaning, collecting litter, sweeping).
- Helping to promote WWT membership and fundraising to visitors.
Who are we looking for?
You will enjoy this role if you:
- Have a friendly, warm and welcoming manner.
- Have an interest in and enthusiasm for WWT’s work, nature and the outdoors and can share this with others.
- Have a good knowledge of UK bird species and other wetland wildlife.
- Are committed to delivering an excellent customer service.
- Are willing to engage our visitors with the pioneering work of WWT and our Welney Centre.
- Have a good ability to work on your own and as part of a small team.
- Are confident at using bird watching optical equipment and able to assist others in doing so. Having your own telescope and binoculars would be useful but is not essential.
- Can be reliable and committed to the role and enjoy working as part of a staff and volunteer team.
How will you benefit?
- This is a sociable role offering a fun, uplifting time speaking to a range of visitors and as part of a friendly team and dedicated team.
- It is an excellent opportunity to volunteer within and get to know an internationally important wetland site.
- An induction to WWT, the Welney Reserve and role training will be provided.
- A suitable WWT uniform and badge is provided to all regular volunteers.
- A discount is available in the cafe and shop on the days of volunteering.
- Free entry to all WWT wetland centres throughout the UK on presentation of your WWT name badge.
You will need a form of transportation to get to WWT Welney Wetland Centre so please check our website on planning your route.
We regret that we are not in a position to reimburse expenses incurred for travel to the site. Any pre-agreed out-of-pocket expenses incurred in the course of the role will be reimbursed.
This position is entirely voluntary and is therefore unpaid. Any offer of a volunteer opportunity is not intended to create a legally binding contract between us and any agreement may be cancelled at any time at the discretion of either party. Neither of us intends any employment relationship to be created either now or at any time in the future.
How to Apply
To read more and apply, please visit: https://www.wwt.org.uk/support/volunteer-with-wwt/volunteering-opportunities/details/vistior-experience-guide-in-a-hide/31/
Please mention ConservationJobs.co.uk when applying for this job!
Wildfowl and Wetlands Trust
Entry Level, Graduate
Communication, Conservation, Education, Nature & Wildlife
Welney Wetland Centre, United Kingdom
Not specified, apply soon.