Marketing Assistant – Residential Volunteer
Overall purpose of the role
Every year over 100,000 visitors come to Bempton Cliffs, and around half of those have never been before so we have to work hard to get them here. You will be the eyes and ears of one of the busiest nature reserves in the UK – finding marketing opportunities around every corner and stories in everything, you’ll help to drive footfall to England’s largest mainland seabird colony.
What we need
We are looking for a residential volunteer for 2019 to join us from March/April for up to 6 months full-time (but at least 3 months April to July). You’ll work with our Communications Officer to spread the word about our fantastic reserve and the half a million strong seabird colony which is home to the iconic puffin and the UK’s largest seabird, the gannet, through both traditional and online avenues.
In this role you will gain:
- Mentoring from an advertising expert with 35 years’ experience in advertising, copywriting and marketing, and recognised in the D&AD Professional Awards
- Experience of promoting one of the RSPB’s busiest reserves
- Experience of promoting events and activities via social media (Facebook and Twitter), press releases, local news and radio and blogs
- Training in safeguarding
- Experience of working in a team on a RSPB nature reserve
- Experience of supervising other volunteers
- Free accommodation (all bills also covered, apart from food) in a stunning location just 1 mile from the reserve
- Create daily posts/tweets for our vibrant social media platforms that maintain targets on reach/engagement
- Work with the Communications Officer to write press releases, news articles and liaise with the media, including radio and tv interviews
- Producing posters and publicity materials
- Collecting and collating information to expand an email database
- Working with other marketing volunteers and reserve volunteers
In addition to these specialist tasks, you will be expected to be an active member of the reserve team assisting with the upkeep, day-to-day management and administrative tasks on the reserve.
- An interest or background in advertising or marketing
- Volunteering experience
- Proven factual and creative writing skills
- Enthusiasm for wildlife and conservation
- (training will be provided)
- Experience of using social media channels in
- a work capacity
- Experience working with volunteers
- Excellent people and communication skills
- Approachable and confident personality
- Enthusiasm, tenacity and a nose for a good story!
- Ability to work as part of a team
This scheme is designed to give you the training and experience needed for a career in conservation and/or advertising. Your line manager will provide a structure to your development and you will have monthly one-to-ones to track your progress and assess any ongoing needs.
Why Bempton Cliffs?
Bempton Cliffs reserve is located near Bridlington on the East Yorkshire coast. The reserve stands atop spectacular 122m (400ft) chalk cliffs, and supports England’s largest seabird colony, with almost a quarter of a million seabirds during the summer. The reserve is also home to the UK’s largest mainland gannetry and is set against a backdrop of beautiful grasslands (home to owls and farmland birds), a healthy breeding population of tree sparrows and dense carpets of red campion.
Accommodation at Bempton Cliffs
Volunteer accommodation is in the adjoining building to the main RSPB Bempton Cliffs office, which is located on the main street of Bempton village (a mile away from the reserve). There are three bedrooms; a double bedroom, a single bedroom and a twin bedroom and two bathrooms. There is also a lounge with a television and a kitchen with an oven/hob, microwave, fridge/freezer, washing machine, toaster and kitchen utensils (plates, pans, cups etc.). If you live locally and would prefer to live at home this is also an option.
How to Apply
For more information: please contact Maria Prchlik, Communications Officer at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 01262 422202, all enquiries are welcome.
To apply visit www.rspb.org.uk.
Please mention ConservationJobs.co.uk when applying for this job!
Entry Level, Graduate, Mid Level
Communication, Conservation, Marine Conservation, Marketing
Bempton, East Yorkshire, United Kingdom
15th March 2019 at 2:30pm