Nature Activity Leader
Why we want you
Do you remember the thrill of finding your first ladybird? We are looking for enthusiastic and energetic individuals with a passion for helping children connect to nature to join our dynamic Schools Outreach programme. You’ll be encouraging care for wildlife and the environment by providing children with direct experience of the bugs, plants, and habitats in their school grounds. Help us inspire the next generation to save nature!
Following a period of shadowing the Schools Outreach Officer we’ll ask you to take the lead on delivering our hands-on, pre-designed workshops with classes of primary school children and their teachers.
What’s in it for you?
“Wow, this was the most fun ever!” is something you will hear a lot in this role. Plenty of opportunities exist to share your knowledge and experience, and through training and mentoring, you’ll develop your confidence, ability to work with children, and foster your unique delivery style.
Enjoy being a valued member of the RSPB Education Team as you personally inspire thousands of children to help protect the natural world.
Skills you need:
- experience of working with children
- bags of enthusiasm and a natural at sharing your passion for nature with young children
- comfortable being ‘up front’ leading a group
- a keen interest in wildlife, conservation and nature and basic identification skills
- comfortable being active outdoors in all weathers for up to 5 hours a day
- happy to work on your own
- computer savvy: you use email daily and are competent with MS PowerPoint
And also you need to:
- Be willing to travel up to an hour each way to and from the school setting
- Be able to store and transport equipment (one small suitcase) from home to use in your sessions
- Be available one day a fortnight to deliver sessions between 9am and 3pm
Minimum: One day a fortnight
Period: During school term time, 9am – 3pm
We welcome volunteers from all London boroughs and all walks of life.
Before starting in role we ask you to attend a full induction.
We really want you up and running, inspiring children as soon as possible, If you can commit a bit more time in the first month or two, you could be leading your own sessions in no time!
We reimburse any out-of-pocket travel expenses, provide you with a RSPB uniform and name badge.
With expert mentoring along the way, volunteering with Europe’s largest conservation charity will boost your CV – we’ll provide you with a reference.
The RSPB is the UK’s largest nature conservation charity, inspiring everyone to give nature a home. Together with our partners, we protect threatened birds and wildlife so our towns, coast and countryside will teem with life once again. We play a leading role in BirdLife International, a worldwide partnership of nature conservation organisations.
How to Apply
Contact: Georgiana Irimia
Please mention ConservationJobs.co.uk when applying for this job!
Fixed Term, Permanent, Temporary
Entry Level, Graduate, Mid Level, Senior
Ecology, Education, Environment, Nature & Wildlife, Research, Sustainability
Greater London, United Kingdom
25th April 2019 at 1:00pm