Reserve Engagers – Guide in the Hide
Why do we need you?
Our hides offer a great opportunity for anyone of any ability to enjoy wildlife. Guides in the Hides provide a warm, friendly welcome to our visitors of all ages, pointing out birds of interest, providing identification tips and assisting both children and adults to use optical equipment and bird identification guide books.
At WWT we believe that the best way for people to understand and connect to wetlands is to experience them, so we bring awe-inspiring nature up close and let it do the talking. At Slimbridge Wetland Centre visitors can explore unique wetland habitats and the amazing array of birds, mammals and amphibians that inhabit them. Our volunteers help to welcome and inspire visitors, and look after our unique habitats and heritage.
Who will be responsible for your role?
Where will you be based?
WWT Slimbridge Wetland Centre
How much time will it take?
You can pick from a full-day (9.15am until 4pm) or half-day (9.15am-1pm or 1-4pm) volunteer session. A minimum commitment of once a fortnight is preferred.
What will you be doing?
- Attending morning briefings with both Reserve and Visitor Services Teams to ensure you have up to date knowledge for the day
- Welcoming visitors to the hides and talking to visitors about what they can see from hide windows and assisting them with identification
- Using binoculars to showcase species of interest
- Volunteering mainly in our South Lake Discovery Hide and the new Estuary Tower Hide (opens Autumn 2019)
- Keeping up to date with happenings at the centre and directing visitors to other talks, events and activities that may be of interest on their visit
- Maintaining the hides (basic housekeeping-tidying chairs, cleaning, collecting litter, organising materials and learning tools)
- There may also be opportunities to help out at events or to assist with Wild Safaris (commentated 4×4 summer safaris). Additional training provided.
Who are we looking for?
This role will suit you if you:
- Are confident and pro-active in approaching people
- Have a good, basic bird knowledge, although additional support and training can be provided
- Are able to work on your own or as part of a team
- Have some experience of using binoculars and telescopes
- Have an interest in the natural environment
- Have an enthusiastic and friendly manner
- Are committed to excellent customer service
How to Apply
How to Apply:
Full details of this role and an online application form can be found at https://www.wwt.org.uk/wetland-centres/slimbridge/slimbridge-2020/volunteering-at-slimbridge/. If you have any problems locating the information or filling out the application form please email email@example.com.
Please mention ConservationJobs.co.uk when applying for this job!
Wildfowl and Wetlands Trust
Entry Level, Graduate, Mid Level, Postgraduate, Senior
Biodiversity, Biology, Communication, Conservation, Ecology, Environment, Nature & Wildlife
Slimbridge Wetland Centre, United Kingdom
Not specified, apply soon.