Reserve – Monthly Sunday Volunteer
Why do we need you?
At WWT we believe the best way for people to understand and connect to wetlands is to experience them, so we bring awe-inspiring nature up close and let it do the talking. At WWT’s wetland centres we shape unforgettable experiences for our visitors to engage with wetland wildlife and learn more about our pioneering work to protect wetlands and save species around the world.
Arundel Wetland Centre has 65 acres of lakes, scrapes, pools, and lagoons providing a refuge for many different species of plants and animals. By volunteering as part of our Reserve team you will help us to ensure that the centre and reserve are maintained to the highest standard, thereby helping to provide our visitors with a great day out and encouraging them to engage with and support our work to save wetlands for wildlife and people.
Who will be responsible for your role? Reserve Manager
Where will you be based? WWT Arundel Wetland Centre
How much time will it take? Ideally we are looking for people who can commit regularly to the third Sunday each month, from 10am to 3:30pm with 1 hour for lunchtime.
What will you be doing?
Duties may include:
- Assisting the reserve team with annual habitat management tasks, including reedbed, wet grassland, ponds, scrapes and ditches, hides, paths and boardwalks.
- Engaging with visitors to educate them on the work that we are doing and the tasks in which you are involved.
- Ensuring the safety, welfare and enjoyment of the visiting public.
Who are we looking for?
No formal qualifications are required. However, this role will suit you if you are:
- Keen to support the work of WWT.
- Interested in conservation, preferably with some previous experience of similar practical work.
- Practical and physically able with a good level of fitness and in all weathers.
- Able to work in a team of staff and volunteers.
- Proactive and able to work with a minimum of supervision, under the direction of the Reserve Manager/ Supervisor/ Warden.
- Able to follow health and safety guidelines appropriate to the role.
- Sociable and visitor-focused.
How will you benefit?
- This is an exciting opportunity to contribute hands-on to an important wetland site.
- The chance to volunteer in an amazing environment and with a friendly, sociable team.
- A full induction into WWT, the Arundel Centre and full training for the role including Health & Safety will be provided, plus a suitable uniform.
- A discount is available in the cafe and shop on the days of volunteering.
- Enjoy free entry to all WWT wetland sites throughout the UK on presentation of your WWT name badge.
The exact hours you are able to contribute will be discussed prior to placement.
There are limited public transport routes directly to the Arundel Wetland Centre, but good routes to Arundel town. Please see our website for travel details. We regret we are not in a position to reimburse expenses incurred in travelling to and from the centre, but any pre-agreed expenses incurred in the course of your duties will be reimbursed.
This position is entirely voluntary and is therefore unpaid. Any offer of a volunteer opportunity is not intended to create a legally binding contract between us and any agreement may be cancelled at any time at the discretion of either party. Neither of us intends any employment relationship to be created either now or at any time in the future.
How to Apply
Please go to https://www.wwt.org.uk/support/volunteer-with-wwt/volunteering-opportunities/details/reserve-weekends/138/ to see details of this role and then complete and submit the online application form. Email firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any problems completing this.
Successful applicants will be asked to come to the centre and meet the team, find out more about the role and discuss availability before being offered a placement.
Please mention ConservationJobs.co.uk when applying for this job!
Wildfowl and Wetlands Trust
Entry Level, Graduate
Biodiversity, Conservation, Countryside & Land Management, Ecology, Environment, Nature & Wildlife, Workshop & Practical Skills
Arundel Wetland Centre, United Kingdom
Not specified, apply soon.