Why do we need you?
At the Wildfowl and Wetlands Trust we shape unforgettable experiences. By working as part of the reserves volunteer team you will assist with the management of all aspects of the nature reserve. This will help to provide our wildlife with the most beneficial of habitats and provide visitors with a great day out and encourage them to engage with and support our work to save wetlands for wildlife and people.
This is a fantastic opportunity and could be a stepping stone for anyone wanting to gain further experience to help gain a career in conservation.
Who will be responsible for your role? Reserve Warden
Where will you be based? Washington Wetlands Centre
How much time will it take? 9.30am – 3.30pm every Thursday or Sunday. We will mutually agree the hours that you can contribute and it would be helpful if you could try to give us as much notice as possible on the occasions when you are not able to contribute those hours.
What will you be doing?
- Removing invasive plant species.
- Assisting with maintenance of hedges and trees.
- Assisting with maintenance of meadows.
- Creating and maintaining infrastructure such as pathways and hides.
- Creating and maintaining wildlife habitats including ponds, woodland and meadows.
- Assisting with wildlife and wildflower surveys.
Who are we looking for?
This role would suit you if:
- You have experience of working practically in an outdoor environment
- You are able to work alone or as part of a team
- You have excellent communication skills and a positive attitude
- You are reasonably physically fit and do not mind working outdoors in all kinds of weather.
How will you benefit?
- This is an excellent opportunity to work within an internationally important wetland site.
- Suitable uniform is provided to all regular volunteers.
- Discount is available in the cafe and shop on the days of volunteering.
- Free entry to all WWT wetland centres throughout the UK on presentation of your WWT name badge.
- Training opportunities will be provided.
How to Apply
To find out more and apply, please visit: https://www.wwt.org.uk/support/volunteer-with-wwt/volunteering-opportunities/details/reserve/14/
Please mention ConservationJobs.co.uk when applying for this job!
Wildfowl and Wetlands Trust
Entry Level, Graduate
Biodiversity, Biology, Climate Change, Conservation, Ecology, Environment, Nature & Wildlife
WWT Washington, United Kingdom
Not specified, apply soon.