Reserves Support Team (Sunday)
Why do we need you?
At WWT we shape unforgettable experiences for our visitors. We believe the best way for people to understand and connect to wetlands is to experience them, so we bring awe-inspiring nature up close and let it do the talking. By volunteering as part of our Welney team you will be supporting WWT to provide our visitors with a great day out, encouraging them to engage with and support our work to save wetlands for life, through our pioneering habitat and species management work.
Maintaining and managing a large wetland nature reserve requires a lot of practical, hands on physical tasks. Your role will be to provide regular support to the reserves team in all practical reserve management, to maintain habitats, increase species biodiversity and ensure the reserve and grounds areas are functioning at their best for our visitors.
Who will be responsible for your role? Assistant Warden
Where will you be based? WWT Welney Wetland Centre
How much time will it take? The team meets
The team meets 3rd Sunday each month, 10.00am – 4.30pm. We are ideally looking for volunteers who can make a regular commitment of a minimum of 6 sessions per year.
What will you be doing?
You will be volunteering as part of a team to complete scheduled tasks, including:
- supporting staff and other volunteers with the construction and maintenance of ponds, scrapes, ditches and reed beds thus helping to ensure that the reserve water bodies are maintained and managed appropriately
- assisting with the management of grazing livestock
- assisting with the construction and maintenance of access routes to the bird hides including the maintenance of fences, footpaths and hides
- working with a variety of hand tools safely and correctly, observing and applying health and safety regulations at all times
- taking due care for the safety, welfare and enjoyment of the visiting public
- you may be asked to undertake related ad hoc tasks
What are we looking for?
In order to carry out this role, you will need to be / have:
- an interest and enthusiasm for the work of WWT
- keen, enthusiastic and willing to learn
- a good ability to work as part of friendly, busy team and on their own at times
- prepared to be hands on and enthusiastic for completing practical tasks
- an excellent ability to communicate effectively with staff and other volunteers
- physically fit and happy to work outdoors in all weathers
How will you benefit?
- be part of a friendly and dedicated team of staff and volunteers
- this is an excellent opportunity to work within an internationally important wetland site in the UK, learn useful skills and gain insightful experience in our work across WWT
- an induction will be provided as well as other appropriate training and development opportunities
- a review after the first month to ensure the role is right for you and you are happy to continue
- suitable WWT uniform and Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) is provided
- a discount is available in the cafe and shop on the days of volunteering
- free entry for volunteers to any WWT site on display of their volunteering badge
We regret that we are not in a position to reimburse travel expenses, however pre-agreed out of pocket expenses incurred in the course of your volunteering activities will be reimbursed.
This position is entirely voluntary and is therefore unpaid. Any offer of a volunteer placement is not intended to create a legally binding contract between us and any agreement may be cancelled at any time at the discretion of either party. Neither of us intends any employment relationship to be created either now or at any time in the future.
How to Apply
How to Apply:
Please go to www.wwt.org.uk/volunteer to see details of this role and then complete and submit the online application form, or follow this link: https://www.wwt.org.uk/support/volunteer-with-wwt/volunteering-opportunities/details/reserve-sundays/95/
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any problems with completing the application form. Successful applicants will be asked to come to the reserve and meet the team, find out more about the role and discuss availability before being offered a placement.
Please mention ConservationJobs.co.uk when applying for this job!
Wildfowl & Wetlands Trust
Graduate, Mid Level
Environment, Nature & Wildlife
Welney, United Kingdom
Not specified, apply soon.