Schools on Reserves Learning Assistant (Rainham Marshes)
What we’re looking for
Do you remember finding your first ladybird? Share in the excitement as a volunteer and you will have the opportunity to deliver our education programme to visiting schools where typical activities range from hands on exploration of meadows, woods and ponds to playing environmental games. To help us deliver environmental education at our reserves we need you to deliver fun and exciting activities as part of out of classroom learning.
Our Schools on Reserves programme aims to give schoolchildren the chance to experience nature first-hand and you can be part of that exciting journey of discovery! Rainham Marshes nature reserve, a beautiful and unique wildlife haven, is an excellent and inspiring place for the education of young people. Right next to the river Thames and on the outskirts of industrial London, this site is rich in history and brimming with wildlife. It offers visiting schools the chance to study many different habitats with the river, ponds and small woodland all in close proximity. The site is full of character and offers us the chance to show man’s impact on the environment.
The skills you need
Essential Skills/Experience needed:
- A keen interest in wildlife, conservation and the environment
- An enthusiasm for outdoor education and a willingness to learn new skills
- A resourceful and flexible approach to be able to cope with a wide variety of ages and abilities of children
- The confidence and ability to lead or facilitate a fun and active day’s education programme, both in the field and the classroom, with a group of students and their teacher.
- Abundant enthusiasm and excellent communication skills.
- Ability to communicate effectively with children of differing needs and levels of understanding.
- Self-motivated with ability to work as part of a team and alone.
- Good organisation skills.
- Computer literacy – ability to use e-mail, internet, word processing
- Field teaching experience would be an advantage.
- Some ecological knowledge of habitat types would be an advantage
- Some knowledge of the local history of the area would be an advantage
Minimum: 1 to 2 days/week during term time
Duration: April to August and possibly ongoing
Period: As and when during the summer term, April to mid August
What’s in it for you?
The opportunity to make a real difference enriching the lives of youngsters and inspiring them to care and learn more about the natural world with the RSPB. We’ll give you training and experience to build your confidence in helping children have wonderful hands-on experiences with nature. We can potentially give you the skills to kick start a career in environmental or community education. You’ll be part of a small friendly team of staff and volunteers and have the opportunity to make new friends.
How to Apply
How to apply
Julie Foreman, Rainham Marshes Nature Reserve
Tel: 01708 899840
In line with our Safeguarding policy, all applicants are subject to an Enhanced Disclosure from the Disclosure and Barring Service (England and Wales), Access NI in Northern Ireland, or a PVG Scheme registration check from Volunteer Scotland in Scotland. Contact the Disclosure and Barring Service on 0870 9090811 for more information. Contact https://www.mygov.scot/pvg-scheme/ on 01786 849777 for more information. Contact Access NI on 0300 200 7888 for more information. References will also be taken up. All training necessary and background information will be provided and since you are giving up your time, it is only fair we offer to re-imburse your travel expenses (up to 25 miles max). The RSPB is the country’s largest nature conservation charity, inspiring everyone to give nature a home. By volunteering your time and talents you can help us increase our impact and help us save more nature.
Reference number 7403
Please mention ConservationJobs.co.uk when applying for this job!
The Royal Society for the Protection of Birds (RSPB)
Fixed Term, Temporary
Full Time, Part Time
Communication, Conservation, Education, Environment, Nature & Wildlife
Essex, United Kingdom
Not specified, apply soon.