Schools Outreach Session Leader
Why We Want You:
Do you remember the thrill of finding your first ladybird? We are looking for enthusiastic and energetic individuals to introduce primary school children to the bugs, plants, and habitats in their school grounds. Help us inspire the next generation to save nature!
Following a period of shadowing the Schools Outreach Officer we’ll ask you to take the lead on delivering our hands-on, pre-designed workshops with classes of primary school children and their teachers.
You will also play a role in generating school bookings by leafleting schools in your local area. This will help ensure you always have plenty of schools to visit!
What’s In It For You:
“Wow, this was the most fun ever!” is something you will hear a lot in this role. You will develop your confidence and ability to work with children and find your unique delivery style, with expert mentoring along the way. Volunteering with Europe’s biggest conservation charity will boost your CV – we’ll provide you with a reference. Enjoy being a valued member of the RSPB learning team as you personally inspire thousands of children to help protect the natural world.
- Available between 9am and 3pm, once per fortnight
- Bags of enthusiasm and a natural at communicating your passion for nature to young children.
- Comfortable being ‘up front’ leading a group.
- A gifted communicator with adults and children alike.
- A keen interest in wildlife, conservation and nature
- Willing to travel up to an hour each way to and from the school setting.
- Comfortable being active outdoors in all weathers for up to 5 hours a day.
- Great at working in a team and on your own.
- Computer savvy – you use email daily and are competent with MS PowerPoint.
- Able to store and transport equipment (one small suitcase) from home to use in your sessions.
- A willingness to learn.
- It would be desirable (though not essential) if you also have basic wildlife identification skills.
We welcome volunteers from all London boroughs. Before starting in role we ask you to attend two days of in-house training. We really want you up and running, inspiring children as soon as possible. If you can commit a bit more time in the first month or two, you could be leading your own sessions by half-term! We reimburse any out-of-pocket travel expenses, provide you with a RSPB uniform and name badge, and of course give you ongoing support in your role.
The RSPB is the country’s largest nature conservation charity, inspiring everyone to give nature a home. By volunteering your time and talents you can help us increase our impact and help us save more nature. We look forward to hearing from you!
How to Apply
Please visit our website or contact Anthony by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org or by telephone on 02079403050.
Please mention ConservationJobs.co.uk when applying for this job!
Fixed Term, Permanent
Full Time, Part Time
Entry Level, Graduate, Mid Level, Senior
Ecology, Education, Environment, Nature & Wildlife, Research, Sustainability
Greater London, United Kingdom
30th November 2017 at 11:00pm