Volunteer Assistant Ranger
To work with the Handa Ranger and within a small close-knit team of volunteers to deliver visitor and conservation management on Handa Island wildlife Reserve.
Main duties (with estimate of work time occupied as a %): Note this can vary and is only a rough guide to the role.
Path maintenance (30%)
- Constructing and repairing boardwalk
- Aggregate path maintenance, clearing vegetation and footpath drainage
- Carrying out regular inspections and recording findings
Practical duties (20%)
- Beach cleaning
- Firewood collection
- Maintaining the bothy and its water system
- Assisting with management of the composting toilet
- Sign maintenance and any other duties as and when they arise
Landing visitors and providing information (30%- approx 2 days per week)
- Assist with disembarking and embarking of ferry passengers using the portable jetty
- Invite visitors to Visitor Shelter and present a 5-minute welcome and safety talk.
- Carry out some seabird, cetacean, plants and general biological recording (you are of course free to carry out more in your spare time if you’d like to)
- Assist with rat monitoring on a monthly basis.
- Data entry for biological recording
Supervisory Responsibilities (in latter half of internship)
- Provide cover for the Ranger
- Induct and supervise new members of the team
- Carry out reserve inspections
- Assist with financial duties and stock taking
- Assist the Ranger in the production of an annual report on the season’s activities
- Any other duties as required
- A flexible attitude to working hours and communal living
- The ability to thrive in a communal environment, with minimal personal space
- Good practical experience and ability with a variety of hand tools
- Good level of health and fitness
- Self-motivation and the ability to work independently and as part of a tight team
- Great communication skills and diplomacy
- Confident to use initiative when faced with unplanned/unexpected situations
- Experience of wildlife monitoring
- Basic IT skills including working knowledge of MS Office programs
- A love of being outside- whatever the weather!
- Good all-round wildlife knowledge
- Desire to pursue career in conservation
- Experience of Handa Island
- Proven experience in similar role
- Degree or professional qualification in Ecology or related discipline
- Visitor management skills
- have some knowledge of seabird monitoring methodology and practice
- have some knowledge of marine and terrestrial natural history
Having your own transport is something you will find very useful, but this is not essential for the role.
How to Apply
How to apply:
Please see the volunteer page of our website for more details.
Please mention ConservationJobs.co.uk when applying for this job!
Scottish Wildlife Trust
Administration, Biodiversity, Biology, Communication, Conservation, Countryside & Land Management, Ecology, Environment, Nature & Wildlife, Workshop & Practical Skills
Handa, United Kingdom
13th May 2020 at 5:49pm