Volunteer guides introduce visitors to the special qualities of the arboretum by sharing their passion for this world famous collection of trees, and are key in promoting the value of the arboretum as an internationally important scientific resource, learning destination, and a place to enjoy. This role is an opportunity to learn about the arboretum’s heritage and historical context, its scientific significance and how this Grade 1 listed landscape is managed and cared for today.
Different types of walks run throughout the year March-October; walks last about 1½ hours. We ask for 1-2 walks per month, this may rise during autumn colour.
- Leading parties of visitors safely around the arboretum.
- Providing visitors with a thought provoking walk focussing on our key messages.
- Tailoring the walk to suit the specific preferences and needs of different people.
- Answering visitor questions or advising where they may obtain the information.
- Promoting Westonbirt and its events; promoting the Friends’ Charity and membership.
We’d like you to be
Confident in engaging and communicating with all kinds of visitors, able to speak effectively to groups of people, whilst being reliable, positive, patient, and keen to share your enthusiasm for the arboretum with others. Good attention to detail, an interest in trees, and a willingness to learn and promote our key messages are also important.
- Provide you with full training from 10am-4pm on the following days: Saturday 20 January 2018; Saturday 3 & 17 February 2018; and Saturday 3 & 17 March 2018; followed by a period of ‘shadowing’ experienced guides; we would hope training to be completed by May/June 2018. Please note, training is mandatory for this position.
- Advise terrain may be uneven, rough or muddy and you will be walking on and off mainly level paths in ALL weathers, therefore sturdy boots/shoes are needed.
- Provide you with an on-site radio for communication.
- Invite you to team meetings held four times per year which include on-going training.
- Provide access to Westonbirt’s library and archive resources for further research.
- Pay a contribution to the cost of volunteering travel.
How to Apply
Please send your application to us by Sunday 31 December 2017 via email to email@example.com or by post to Louise Amato, Westonbirt, The National Arboretum, Tetbury GL8 8QS
Please mention ConservationJobs.co.uk when applying for this job!
Westonbirt, The National Arboretum
Communication, Education, Nature & Wildlife
Tetbury, Gloucestershire, United Kingdom
Not specified, apply soon.