The Montenegro Dolphin Project (MDP) is the first long term research study of dolphins in Montenegrin waters. We aim to address questions about marine mammals’ abundance,distribution and behaviour, to define critical habitats and investigate the impact of major threats. In addition to our research effort, our attention also focuses on the promotion and implementation of awareness initiatives targeted at the local communities particularly youth. Joining our team of international researchers and students is a one-time opportunity to gain important scientific, analysing and conservation skills in the marine mammal research field.
Montenegro and its Nature
The nature in Montenegro is wild and still uncontaminated: running from the majestic black
mountains, to the crystal-clear lakes and rivers and from the historic towns to the national
parks; this small country offers an incredible variety of landscapes and activities. Montenegrin
coastal waters are extremely rich in marine life, yet barely explored. At least 2 species of marine mammals can be found here, the most common of which are the bottlenose dolphin (Tursiops truncatus) and striped dolphin (Stenella coeruleoalba). Unfortunately, these animals, like many others worldwide, are experiencing significant declines caused by human related activities. By choosing to study the Montenegrin dolphins with us, you can be part of the CHANGE for the good reasons!
The MDP team will provide lectures, workshops and field work training as well as constant
mentoring. You will be given the chance to learn some of the most widely used methodologies in marine mammal research such as:
- Theodolite operation and Pythagoras software.
- Photo-ID and Discovery software.
- Efficient usage of Excel.
- Scientific data entry and its analysis.
- ArcGIS mapping software to advance level.
- Scientific project, manuscript and report writing.
You may also use your time with us to develop your own scientific project and improve your skills as a field researcher.
Who we are looking for
- True interest for marine conservation, self-motivation, maturity and ability to work responsibly.
- Ability to take initiatives and cohabit in a dynamic and multicultural environment.
- Respect for the organization’s rules and willingness to follow standards and procedures.
- Fluent English (both spoken and written) and good communication skills.
- Willingness to learn new skills and software applications.
- Previous fieldwork experience is an advantage but not mandatory.
- Background in marine biology and knowledge of marine mammals.
- Previous fieldwork experience.
- Ability to operate Theodolite.
- Previous experience in photo-identification (photographing and matching).
Accommodation & Facilities
Accommodation is included in the participation fee. Volunteers will have a bed in a shared room with access to a communal kitchen and bathroom. The accommodation itself is basic, but there is everything you need including Wi-Fi, hot water and a washing machine. The place is located in Bar, a small coastal city in the south of Montenegro where volunteer can find everything they need in terms of pharmacies, supermarkets, restaurants etc. It is only a 10-minute walk to the seaside which offers beautiful stony beaches in Bar itself. There are plenty of outdoor activities to choose such us hiking, diving, rock climbing and birdwatching. On the weekends, you will have free time to travel across the
country and visit the nearby cities/countries and attractions.
The project participation fee is 700 euros/month which includes:
- Field work (Sea & Land Surveys).
- Use of the equipments.
- Project related transportation within the country.
Not included in the fee is:
- Transportation to/from Montenegro.
- All participants should have health and/or travel insurance.
*** Certificate of Participation will be provided after the placement in the Montenegro Dolphin
How to Apply
Please send your CV and cover letter to email@example.com and explain the reasons why you would be the perfect asset for our team of researchers and which goals you hope to achieve with us! If you wish to have more info about our work and get to know us better, follow us here
Please mention ConservationJobs.co.uk when applying for this job!
Montenegro Dolphin Project (MDP)
Full Time, Part Time
Entry Level, Graduate
Conservation, Marine Conservation, Research
Not specified, apply soon.