Weekend Welcome Team Volunteer
Why do we need you?
At WWT we believe that the best way for people to understand and connect to wetlands is to experience them, so we bring awe-inspiring nature up close and let it do the talking. People feel part of something amazing and are motivated to make a difference.
By providing an excellent visitor experience you will be encouraging our visitors to make the most of their visit to Slimbridge centre, and to understand our work to save wetlands for wildlife and people. Weekends are always a popular time to people to visit and so we are looking to add to our team of volunteers to ensure that everyone has a warm welcome and we can tell them all about the exciting things that they can do during their visit.
Who will be responsible for your role?
Retail, Admissions and Membership Manager
Where will you be based?
WWT Slimbridge wetland centre
How much time will it take?
Ideally you will be able to commit to a minimum of a half-day every other week.
What will you be doing?
You will be carrying out any or all of the following, according to demand on the day. For tasks that require specific skills or knowledge training will be provided and we would not expect you to carry out those tasks until you have received the training.
- Attending a briefing session on your volunteering day so that you can be provided with up-to-date information
- Providing a warm, friendly welcome to all visitors
- Interacting with visitors providing information on request. Use the Foyer map to signposting visitors around the grounds and interaction alerting visitors to specific events of interest taking place at the centre.
- Assisting with the provision of wheelchairs and electronic scooters
- Promoting membership of WWT and assisting with the signing up of new members
- Using the tills to process membership and sell items such as grain and walkabout guides
- Bagging of grain
- Answering the telephone and answering queries or redirecting them to the relevant department
- Keeping the area clean and tidy
The following activities are optional. Again, training is provided to enable you to carry them out.
- Delivering elements of the centre’s walk and talks programme
- Spending time as a Roving Engager across the centre, making informal contact with visitors, engaging them with WWT’s work and helping to enhance their visit
Who are we looking for?
To carry out this role you will need:
- Excellent verbal communication skills
- A confident attitude and / or experience in successful face-to-face contact with the public
- Commitment to excellent customer service
- An interest in and enthusiasm for the work of WWT
- The ability to work under your own initiative under the direction of the Retail, Admissions & Membership Manager
- The ability to complete forms and use an electronic till system
How will you benefit?
- This is an excellent opportunity to volunteer within an internationally important wetland site
- A great opportunity to join a friendly team, learn new skills and develop your knowledge
- Uniform is provided and discount is available in the café and shop on days you volunteer
- Free entry to all WWT wetland centres throughout the UK on presentation of your WWT name badge
- Training opportunities will be provided
How to Apply
To read more and apply, please visit: https://www.wwt.org.uk/join-and-support/volunteering/volunteering-opportunities/weekend-welcome-team
Please mention ConservationJobs.co.uk when applying for this job!
Wildfowl and Wetlands Trust
Entry Level, Graduate, Mid Level, Postgraduate, Senior
Communication, Conservation, Environment
Slimbridge, United Kingdom
Not specified, apply soon.