Why do we need you?
At WWT we shape unforgettable experiences for our visitors. We believe the best way for people to understand and connect to wetlands is to experience them, so we bring awe-inspiring nature up close and let it do the talking.
At WWT Welney Wetland Centre we want to ensure that our visitors receive a warm, friendly welcome to ensure they have a comfortable and enjoyable visit to our Visitor Centre and Reserve. In this role you’ll be part of the team providing a helping hand to ensuring that our visitors have a great day to remember from start to finish. You’ll also be a key representative and champion of WWT actively engaging our visitors, providing them with information and advising them on our latest conservation initiatives and the benefits of our membership scheme.
Who will be responsible for your role? Trading Manager
Where will you be based? WWT Welney Wetland Centre
How much time will it take? We are looking for volunteers who can ideally commit to one day a week, particularly Tuesdays – Thursdays. Shifts are from 9.30am to 3pm, with suitable breaks.
What will you be doing?
- Proactively engaging with all visitors, providing a warm, friendly welcome and goodbye.
- Promoting and encouraging visitors to become WWT members.
- Asking visitors questions and assisting them with directions to site facilities.
- Promoting daily activities and highlighting future events.
- Greeting ad-hoc and pre-booked visiting groups and assisting them to plan their visit.
- Updating visitor information and generally helping staff to keep the site tidy and presentable.
- Supporting staff and other volunteers during busy periods and special events in a variety of ways which may include; manning activity tables, selling merchandise, directing vehicles into the car park, managing queues, handing out flyers, cafe clearing, and any other tasks required.
- Using a radio to communicate with staff about any incidents or situations which require attention i.e. lost children or first aid incidents.
- Wearing issued WWT uniform, name badge and appropriate clothing.
Who are we looking for?
No previous experience is required, as training will be provided. However, you will really enjoy this role will if you:
- Have a positive, friendly and helpful attitude.
- Have an interest in and enthusiasm for WWT’s work, nature and the outdoors and can share this with others.
- Have confidence in speaking with members of the public simply and effectively.
- Have a strong commitment to delivering excellent customer service.
- Are a great communicator and are happy to work as part of a team.
- Are active and happy to spend time indoors and out.
- Are able to work under your own initiative during quieter times under direction.
- To be reliable and committed to the role and enjoy working as part of a staff and volunteer team.
How will you benefit?
- This is a sociable role offering a fun, uplifting time speaking to a range of visitors and as part of a friendly team and dedicated team.
- It is an excellent opportunity to volunteer within and get to know an internationally important wetland site.
- An induction to WWT, the Welney Reserve and role training will be provided.
- A suitable WWT uniform and badge is provided to all regular volunteers.
- A discount is available in the cafe and shop on the days of volunteering.
- Free entry to all WWT wetland centres throughout the UK on presentation of your WWT name badge.
You will need a form of transportation to get to WWT Welney Wetland Centre so please check our website on planning your route.
We regret that we are not in a position to reimburse travel expenses, however pre-agreed out of pocket expenses incurred in the course of your volunteering activities will be reimbursed.
This position is entirely voluntary and is therefore unpaid. Any offer of a volunteer placement is not intended to create a legally binding contract between us and any agreement may be cancelled at any time at the discretion of either party. Neither of us intends any employment relationship to be created either now or at any time in the future.
How to Apply
For more details and to apply, please visit: https://www.wwt.org.uk/support/volunteer-with-wwt/volunteering-opportunities/details/welcome-team/23/
Please mention ConservationJobs.co.uk when applying for this job!
Wildfowl and Wetlands Trust
Entry Level, Graduate
Communication, Conservation, Ecology
Welney Wetland Centre, United Kingdom
Not specified, apply soon.