Westonbirt’s historic Victorian landscape and internationally important tree and shrub collection is managed by the Forestry Commission and attracts thousands of visitors each year – welcome volunteers are a key element of our visitor services team in helping everyone to get the very best from their time with us. This busy, varied and fulfilling role welcomes visitors to the arboretum and helps them to enjoy a memorable day out.
The welcome desk is open every day 10am-4pm* plus 15 minutes either end of the day for opening/closing the desk. We ask for two full days per month with additional help welcomed during particularly busy periods. You will be required to volunteer for occasional weekend shifts.
*1 December to 28 February 10am-3.30pm, closed 25 December.
- Providing excellent customer service in and around the Welcome Building.
- Advising seasonal highlights, trail routes, signature events, and answering queries.
- Promoting membership and processing subscriptions.
- Communicating confidently with people both face-to-face and via telephone/on-site radio.
- Using the computer for relevant information.
- Taking bookings for mobility scooters/wheelchairs and safely issuing to visitors.
- Keeping information exhibits tidy and showing people how to use them.
- Staying calm and focused when dealing with lots of people during peak periods.
We’d like you to be
A people-person with a warm welcoming style who can communicate with all kinds of visitors, have a sound grasp of figures, good attention to detail, and use computers confidently, whilst also being reliable, positive, patient, and keen to share your enthusiasm for the arboretum with others.
- Provide 3-days of new starter training (Monday 5 – Wednesday 7 March 2018 inclusive), followed by ‘hands-on’ training at the welcome desk with experienced volunteers to help and provide guidance.
- Provide ongoing mandatory training to support you in your role.
- Pay a contribution to the cost of volunteering travel.
- Help you to complete the required Disclosure and Barring System checks (DBS).
How to Apply
Please send your application to us
By 23 February 2018 via email to firstname.lastname@example.org or by post to Louise Amato, Westonbirt, The National Arboretum, Tetbury GL8 8QS
Please mention ConservationJobs.co.uk when applying for this job!
Westonbirt, The National Arboretum
Administration, Communication, Education, Marketing, Nature & Wildlife
Tetbury, Gloucestershire, United Kingdom
23rd February 2018 at 11:15pm